Adobe for cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcraigscott

Aug 16, 2011
Canada
Hello,

I have the possibility of getting an Adobe boiler, it has never been used (still needs assembled) came shipped with some refractory brick broken and has just sat for a couple years.

I been reading the forums and have read some of the horror stories people have had with this unit.

I was wondering if any of you current or former adobe owners would let me know what you think. Would it be worth getting (price seriously reduced) or will it just be more hassle that it is worth.

Thanks

It would have to be seriously cheap. I have one that could be bought real cheap. You need very dry wood for them to perform well. I have had mine for 3-4 years. It gets me by but wish I had something different.

Ditto what muleman said..........like in hundreds of dollars cheap--less than $500. If you have seen one in person you know there is not much in materials nor technology. Its simplicity is what initiallly caught my eye. I bought mine as a build on site--one of the worst mistakes I ever made. If you do purchase it, DO NOT put it in ANY type of living area. Plan on replacing the outer panels sooner than later.......You might be better off having stainless panels made and throw the provided crap away to save the hassle later on. Depending on what you are heating, reliability factor,.........I can honestly say "I" would recommend against it . You should save some $$ heating with wood with one BUT in the end......unless you can do all your own plumbing, I think you will end up not happy and replacing it----which in turn costs LOTS of $$. I know because I did it. Mine still sits in my pole barn... I thought of heating the barn but I just don't think it is worth it. At the time I bought it the price was attractive but in the end it cost me thousands more!! If Phillip Dougherty is in any way involved in the sale I can highly recommend not to deal with him!! MY 2 cents!! Any questions post or PM me. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the input,

I think I will probably pass. Doesn't seem like it will be worth the hassle (and for me as a cheap Scotsman to say that means that I can tell it's going to be a big hassle)

I appreciative the feedback, it sure is nice to have this forum when trying to make a big and important purchase.

I can't think of an "Adobe Story" I've ever heard on here or anywhere else that did not end up involving large amounts of heartache, headache, and wallet-ache.

If someone gave it to you- zero dollars- the cost of all the ancillary parts (pipe, fittings, flue materials, labor, &/or your time) to really hook it up and run it will still add up to way more than meets the eye. And you'll have spent all that on a product that is basically crap and that is unlikely to serve very well for very long.

If low entry cost is a priority, you'd be far better off looking for an older used Tarm pre-gasification-model in clean shape.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to pass on it. Getting pretty serious about ordering an Attack DPX 45 in the next few days.

I'm a Scotsman by blood so it is hard to pass up a good deal, but even for free this doesn't seem like a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.