Advice for Brand NEW Lopi Leyden wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bootjack

Jan 31, 2021
NW PA
I just installed a Brand New barn stored 2009 Lopi Leyden. It heats my whole house down to mid-teens temperatures so far. The biggest problem is that it runs too hot. Hard to keep a fire all night and roasting on mild days. With new gaskets my guess is that the draft is a bit too strong. I ordered a damper for install during the spring cleaning. Since this is a long discontinued model, I have concerns about replacement parts down the road. Here are some questions:

1) The secondary combuster apparently has caused others problems . Would you buy the parts for this ($400) in advance in case they no longer are available?

2) What else commonly breaks on them?

3) I thought about buying a stove for parts. As time goes on more of these should come on the market for reasonable prices. Can the used combusters be swapped out?

4) Are there any suggestions other than a damper to slow the burn?

5) Any other tips to keeping this stove working properly for years to come?

Thanks

That's a rare find. It's a good looker but unfortunately, it's a fussy stove with a fragile refractory combustion system that didn't stand up well. Unless this is just for occasional use, I would sell it and let it be someone else's problem.

There are several threads on this stove. Search on Leyden, in this forum, titles only. They like to run on the hot side and can get cranky with marginal draft or poorly seasoned wood.

Reactions: clancey
I've searched many threads so pretty much got the jest of the stove. I was hoping there were some long term users that have learned to live with the stove's faults. A few posts I've read even like the stove. I do not want to sell until I become discouraged and am willing to do some necessary repair prior to giving up on it. If anybody is still using or repairing this stove, please respond. Thanks

I've searched many threads so pretty much got the jest of the stove. I was hoping there were some long term users that have learned to live with the stove's faults. A few posts I've read even like the stove. I do not want to sell until I become discouraged and am willing to do some necessary repair prior to giving up on it. If anybody is still using or repairing this stove, please respond. Thanks
My family and I love this stove. I have had it in two different locations. First in Texas and now in Illinois. Since 2015, I have cleaned the chimney once and the technician said that I didn’t even need to have it done. Of course i did it to appease my wife. We have burned 10+ cords of wood in this thing with no problems. (Knock on wood). I know I went a bit high past our ridge line for our chimney for a great draft. I only burn my own cut, split and dried wood. Mostly oak and cherry. Some Hickory i notice smokes more than the rest given the same storage and conditions though.

I would also say it chews through a ton of wood. The new gaskets this year helped significantly.

I can report that, after my first ten minutes of full bypass open, I ramp it down and let the thing work its efficiency. It keeps our 2500 sq ft area well heated and comfy.

I know I'm a bit late to the game on this thread but just ran across it. I've had a Lopi Leyden since I believe 2011 or 2012. I've had the combustor replaced once and probably need to do so again but I'm going to see how it goes this year...may end up getting a Jotul F50 TL next year instead (or mid-year if the Lopi really craps out on me).

Anyway, for stuff I have had to replace, here are the biggies:

1. Rear brick gasket, sits under the rear brick. I do a full clean on the stove yearly and I have to take out the rear brick to do it. The gasket is very fragile and costs me around 60-70 bucks.

2. Also behind the rear brick is a combustor gasket. This is fragile too and I've replaced it a few times.

I try to be really careful when removing things but if you look at those two gaskets the wrong way they fall apart.

3. Baffle door gasket...I've not replaced it yet but mine is coming loose. I'm looking to order one and get it in before the cold really sets in.

Overall it has been a good working stove, just with aggravations. I burn mostly Hedge apple (osage orange) wood. Handles it well.

Have you used the stove yet? If so, how has it done?

If one has proper draft it can heat ok, it's just a regular maintenance hassle and expense. FYI, the F50TL is not sold now. The just have the F45 and F55. I'm not sure if the F50 will return or not.

I do too and was dead set on getting an Isle Royale, but couldn't make the clearances work in our corner install. Now, I don't think twice about front loading. A simpler, almost maintenance-free stove makes the transition easier. But who knows, maybe they will bring the F50 back in a version 2?

I certainly hope so. I've just found the top loading to be so much easier and less hassle, especially since I use Osage orange almost exclusively and it can be really lively spark-wise....seems easier to deal with if it starts sparking up instead of out. Regardless it keeps you on your toes!

I certainly hope so. I've just found the top loading to be so much easier and less hassle, especially since I use Osage orange almost exclusively and it can be really lively spark-wise....seems easier to deal with if it starts sparking up instead of out. Regardless it keeps you on your toes!
The problem with top loading is that there are very few top loaders that didn't come with lots of maintenance issues due to the top load design.

I understand. I may end up doing a non-top load before it is said and done, but if I go that route I think I'll order a Woodstock. Anyway, I'm hoping the Lopi hangs in there awhile longer!

I would order that Woodstock now, it will probably be 2 years before they actually get a stove shipped out to you. But don't worry, for that entire two years, you'll be able to give them a call and talk with a friendly person who will assure you that your stove will ship by the end of this week.

I would order that Woodstock now, it will probably be 2 years before they actually get a stove shipped out to you. But don't worry, for that entire two years, you'll be able to give them a call and talk with a friendly person who will assure you that your stove will ship by the end of this week.
We get it you are pissed they are running behind. But everyone is that is just how it is right now. No need to bash them all over