Advice for Running Power Into Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am not sure anyone ever answered this guys original question and I am curious now as I am in a similar situation.

Is it against code to drill a hole in the masonry and run the power out the side of the chimney to an outlet?
Does that hole need to be sealed up after snaking the power cord through? If so any suggestion on best material to use?

I’ve got a built in seat with storage under it right next to the fireplace. It’s an easy drill and easy access to power. Keeping the cords out of sight and out of mind.

The reason for the switch is in electrical code a means of disconnect is required with in line of sight or 6 feet from equipment or appliance
a switch counts as a disconnect means AC units have a disconnect with in 6; hot tubs 6' garbage disposals require a plug in now for disconnect even thou they have a switch. so the switch is to disconnect power to remove the insert or access internal electrical components.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
The reason for the switch is in electrical code a means of disconnect is required with in line of sight or 6 feet from equipment or appliance
a switch counts as a disconnect means AC units have a disconnect with in 6; hot tubs 6' garbage disposals require a plug in now for disconnect even thou they have a switch. so the switch is to disconnect power to remove the insert or access internal electrical components.
It's mainly to assert that the power is off when routine servicing is done to the electrical equipment. In this case that would be things like cleaning the blowers, replacing a snap switch, etc.

If you haven’t thought about it yet now might be a good time to consider how you might you might supply it with emergency power. It’s not needed but it would keep you a lot warmer if you could run the blower if you loose power for an extended period of time.
I’m trying not to have cords out front either. Both my fireplaces are now very exposed both are bricked all the way around on 4 sides. Will be starting year 3 with cords out front for the upstairs still contemplating if I want an insert downstairs.

I was worried about the cords out front on both of my inserts when I first installed them. Both of my inserts where used so I replaced both cords I eliminated the rheostat box on my Lopi and moved the cords to the side of the insert that was closest to the outlet. I tuck the cord in the corner of the brick where it transitions from horizontal to vertical and honestly I don't really notice it, it has not been an issue at all.

Reactions: bholler
I am not sure anyone ever answered this guys original question and I am curious now as I am in a similar situation.

Is it against code to drill a hole in the masonry and run the power out the side of the chimney to an outlet?
Does that hole need to be sealed up after snaking the power cord through? If so any suggestion on best material to use?

I’ve got a built in seat with storage under it right next to the fireplace. It’s an easy drill and easy access to power. Keeping the cords out of sight and out of mind.
Hey was this ever answered? I would be in your situation where I’d run the power cord out the side of my chimney to an electrical outlet in the basement adjacent. Did you end up doing this?