Firebox / Chimney Installation - insulation proper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

the_unnamed

Jan 16, 2024
Georgia
Hi Guys,

my fireplace is between my living room and my garage encapsulated between walls around the flue. Today I actually went inside of there because I had to run some wires for something else. While in there, I noticed a couple things that concerned me and I was hoping to find answers or suggestions here.

• The firebox has a big warning label that 1" of air gap must be maintained around the box. The wall studs behind the firebox are in fact a little over an inch away, so that's fine, but the faced insulation batts in between were sagging over time and actually touching the firebox. My questions here: The faced batts actually say "Fire Hazard" being 2" or so away from a firebox makes me worry. Should I replace them with unfaced rockwool batts instead or is there a better solution?
  • I noticed, that only the wall behind the firebox (whichs is one of my garage walls) has insulation. The walls left and right and facing the front of the fireplace have no insulation (they are facing inside to my living room). My question here: Is there any issue with putting rock wool insulation batts between those studs as well?

Attached some pictures. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Are between Garage Wall and Fire Box.jpg Wall facing Living Room.jpg Flue and Garage Wall left, Living room right.jpg

The paper definitely should not be touching. With a little over 1" clearance, replacing them is going to be a challenge. What would be the plan.

The paper definitely should not be touching. With a little over 1" clearance, replacing them is going to be a challenge. What would be the plan.
I can easily reach all batts. I started putting rockwool between the studs above, since there was no insulation whatsoever. Rockwool should be fine compared to paper face, right? This pic shows how it now looks above. Would do the save with the walls around the fire box?!

IMG_1586.jpg

I'm more comfortable with light wire crisscrossed across the batts to secure them.

Reactions: the_unnamed
Rock wool should be okay for what you are using it for.

Reactions: the_unnamed