Advice - insert or renovate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sellears

Oct 31, 2023
Wisconsin
I want a more efficient situation than my current 1960s era fireplace without sacrificing the view of the fire. It looks like to get the largest viewing area - I'm in the $5k range with a Lopi Large Flush and new liner (factoring in rebate as well - if anyone wants a list of inserts/costs/attributes let me know). I just want fires 2-3x week that don't make the house colder, throw a little heat in the 15x15 room its in (bonus if it throws heat beyond this room) and looks nice.

I am wondering if I should look at upgrades to the existing fireplace - add cast iron fireback, decent sealing glass doors, and a blower that can blow into the 15x15 room and maybe even into the 15x30 kitchen behind the fireplace. Struggling to price out these options against an insert. Does anyone have good sources for these items and how they compare to an insert? Pic attached. Thanks.

fireplace.JPG

I want a more efficient situation than my current 1960s era fireplace without sacrificing the view of the fire. It looks like to get the largest viewing area - I'm in the $5k range with a Lopi Large Flush and new liner (factoring in rebate as well - if anyone wants a list of inserts/costs/attributes let me know). I just want fires 2-3x week that don't make the house colder, throw a little heat in the 15x15 room its in (bonus if it throws heat beyond this room) and looks nice.

I am wondering if I should look at upgrades to the existing fireplace - add cast iron fireback, decent sealing glass doors, and a blower that can blow into the 15x15 room and maybe even into the 15x30 kitchen behind the fireplace. Struggling to price out these options against an insert. Does anyone have good sources for these items and how they compare to an insert? Pic attached. Thanks.

View attachment 320139
What condition are the liners for your fireplace in? I would say the cost of those things would end up around $2500 or so. But you will have about 1/10 the efficiency of an insert

I don't have a liner currently - would need to add a 6" SS ($700 - DIY install) if I go the insert route.
You don't have any liner in the chimney? Then you would have to add one for use as an open fireplace as well. So add another $1500 or $2000 for the fireplace

I dont really have any questions about liners or chimneys. I am wondering about adding better glass doors, a fireback, and perhaps a blower to the existing situation in the picture. Anyone gone that route before and have an experience to share? thanks!

None of your mentioned additions to the fireplace will improve heat output more than a couple percent. Absolute best perfect case is 20% efficiency and I doubt you will get that. Inserts start at 65%. I like my insert and stove way better than an open fireplace. I will never go back.

Plan on addressing all your clearance to combustibles either way.

I dont really have any questions about liners or chimneys. I am wondering about adding better glass doors, a fireback, and perhaps a blower to the existing situation in the picture. Anyone gone that route before and have an experience to share? thanks!
Yes bur you were asking about cost. And liners add a big cost. Don't forget about the insulation either.

Reactions: EbS-P