Advice on 1st Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

codydog1983

Oct 18, 2023
Northeasr
My wife likes to make fires in our open fireplace which we get almost no heat from so I'm planning to buy an insert to get the heat benefit.
The house is 2 stories 2000 sq ft. Bedrooms are upstairs and not over the room where the fireplace is.

The dimensions of my open fireplace are 47' in the opening that narrows to 37' at the back. 22' depth.
Its about 27' height at the front.
Looking for a more modern flush front or sticking out a few inches.
Large viewing area would be great.

I'm not sure of Catalytic vs Non Cat yet. This won't be our main heat source most of the time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
The Lopi Large Hybrid or Regency 2700i hybrid are both good flush units. Blaze King makes pure catalyst inserts, in different styles depending on the aesthetic.
In non-cat, the Summit by Pacific Energy is a reliable performer.

The Lopi Large Hybrid or Regency 2700i hybrid are both good flush units. Blaze King makes pure catalyst inserts, in different styles depending on the aesthetic.
In non-cat, the Summit by Pacific Energy is a reliable performer.
How about the Quadrafire Pioneer III ? Is that a good unit.

The Pioneer III is a Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace, not an insert though marketing sometimes calls them that. It does not go into a fireplace. Did you mean the Quad Expedition II? That is a fixed burn rate insert, like the Vermont Castings Montpelier II. It's ok for the occasional fire, but the other recommendations probably would work better if the goal is to heat 24/7 with wood.

Last edited: