Looking for wood insert with rear exhaust vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve74

Jan 9, 2024
Hello, I'm new here and I really appreciate this excellent forum!
I'm looking to replace an old hearth mounted top-loading wood stove with a wood insert, into a somewhat challenging 1940s stone fireplace.
The fireplace opening is 27" high and roughly 26" wide and 27" deep. The tricky part is the 10" depth of the lintel, which seems like a problem for most top-vented inserts, requiring about 15" from the fireplace face to the center of a top vent. Someone told me that some stove manufacturers make it an option to vent from the back instead of the top. The 27" depth (maybe more if I remove the sheet-metal surround in the back) seems like it would give me enough space for a rear vent.
I like the PE Vista and Super, but I can't determine if they could be configured this way. I'm open to other makes/models, preferably EPA certified.

Any thought or suggestions ?

fireplace_crop.jpg

Reactions: 30WCF
PE stoves are top vented. The Jotul F35 or F45 can rear vent and have a short leg option that will allow the flue pipe to fit under the 27" high lintel with about 3/4" clearance.

The 27" depth (maybe more if I remove the sheet-metal surround in the back)
Can you tell us more about your fireplace setup?

A freestanding rear vent stove like you currently have would be your best bet, but your hearth would need to be extended out for a front loader, possibly could get away with a side load Woodstock Fireview with rear vent.

Can you tell us more about your fireplace setup?

A freestanding rear vent stove like you currently have would be your best bet, but your hearth would need to be extended out for a front loader, possibly could get away with a side load Woodstock Fireview with rear vent.
As you and others have suggested, a freestanding rear vent seems to be the best option, with a small enough unit like the VC Intrepid, that could sit partially inside of the 26"w x 27"h fireplace opening (rather than fully in front). I have 17" of slate hearth in front of the fireplace, so I'd probably need one of those metal floor plates to extend it.

The sheet metal surround inside this firebox was butchered from a previous installation, and I need a new flue liner/vent pipe so I'll need to rework it anyway, and will design it to accommodate with whatever stove we decide on..

Cool looking stone work.
Maybe coming out the back with a 45* would help scoot the stove out a bit too.
If all
You need is ember protection, depending on what you end up with, metal will be fine. I’m just sitting on a piece of 1/8 or 3/16” metal in knocker the corners off of and painted.

Hello, I'm new here and I really appreciate this excellent forum!
I'm looking to replace an old hearth mounted top-loading wood stove with a wood insert, into a somewhat challenging 1940s stone fireplace.
The fireplace opening is 27" high and roughly 26" wide and 27" deep. The tricky part is the 10" depth of the lintel, which seems like a problem for most top-vented inserts, requiring about 15" from the fireplace face to the center of a top vent. Someone told me that some stove manufacturers make it an option to vent from the back instead of the top. The 27" depth (maybe more if I remove the sheet-metal surround in the back) seems like it would give me enough space for a rear vent.
I like the PE Vista and Super, but I can't determine if they could be configured this way. I'm open to other makes/models, preferably EPA certified.

Any thought or suggestions ?

View attachment 322528
a lot of Vermont castings can be rear vented just turn the flue collar

Clearing the lintel will be key. Some stoves have short leg kits that will help. Check out Jotul's offerings