Advice needed - chimney door repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carstonio

Hearth Supporter
Feb 4, 2009
Maryland
The cleaning door for our chimney is falling apart. Before we replace it, we want to track down the source of the creosote that sometimes dribbles out of the door. The door sits about four feet below where the stove's exhast pipe connects to the chimney. We clean the chimney regularly, at least three times each burning season, and from quick inspections with a mirror, we get very little creosote above the exhaust pipe. Could this be just cold air being drawn into the chimney around the broken door? And should we be concerned about the cracks in the mortar at the level of the chimney door? If we need professional repairs to the chimney, we want some knowledge about what our chimney truly needs. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• Advice needed - chimney door repair
    IMG_0013.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Advice needed - chimney door repair
    IMG_0014.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 173
I would suggest having the chimney inspected by a pro. Just looking up with a mirror it is very hard to tell how much build up is there and what condition the liners are in. But by looking at the creosote stain there i would bet that your chimney is glazed up pretty badly.

Not to be smart but the source of the creosote is the chimney. It is condensating and running down the interior of the chimney and out the door. I suspect there are several things that you could do to remedy but it is all going to depend on the set up that you have, such as, where is the stove/fireplace located in relationship to the clean out? Is there an area that is depressed just inside that clean out door where a shovel full of sand can go? Tough when we can't see everything....Not your fault of course, just saying.

Not to be smart but the source of the creosote is the chimney. It is condensating and running down the interior of the chimney and out the door. I suspect there are several things that you could do to remedy but it is all going to depend on the set up that you have, such as, where is the stove/fireplace located in relationship to the clean out? Is there an area that is depressed just inside that clean out door where a shovel full of sand can go? Tough when we can't see everything....Not your fault of course, just saying.
Of course the source of the creosote is the chimney.;lolWhen it's running out of the clean out door it's a sign of excessive build up. It's also likely there is no cap. The water mixed with creosote will really expedite the corrosion of the clean out door.

Webby, I really like your fireplace in the picture. It looks awesome! By the way, I live in Graysville, Indiana. Are you close to me?

You'll care much less about that door, with an insulated stainless liner slid into that chimney. [emoji12]

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.