1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice needed from real-world users

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by twigg, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twigg

twigg New Member

Loc:
    Oklahoma
    We are in Owasso.

Yeah, it's been great today, but I haven't forgotten waking up to 9F last week either :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. twigg

twigg New Member

Loc:
    Oklahoma
    The T5 is about $2000. Not far short of the Oakwood, in it's asic form. Looks like a nice Stove, but I don't see any real advantage over the Englander.

If we were to go for the Alderlea, we may as well spring the extra $300 for the Oakwood, which leaves us back where we started :)

The suggestions are great tho. So thanks.
  3. twigg

twigg New Member

Loc:
    Oklahoma
    I'm looking at the Alderlea again.

It looks nice, and I like the swing out top. We would save a good deal on the hearth requirement too, and that would offset the higher price.

Need to do some reading.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you think the Englander will satisfy your needs now and for the next 5-10 years, go for it. They are good solid stoves and will save you a lot of dough. But if you think that in a year or two there'll be a hankering for something in cast iron, then get the Alderlea or one of the other cast iron stoves mentioned earlier and be happy.

Regardless of stove brand, I'd look into 3 cu ft stoves if the intent is to heat a large area (like the whole house) 24/7. We're heating a 2000 sq ft old farmhouse in a milder climate with a 3 cu ft T6 and it isn't too big. With an open floorplan, the core of the house rarely gets over 74.
  5. twigg

twigg New Member

Loc:
    Oklahoma
    I was attracted by the very modest hearth requirement of the Alderlea, plus the swing-out top. OTOH, the firebox is under 2cuft.

We are probably going to swallow on building a 1.5R hearth (it's not that hard) and go with the Englander.

Just for info .... I emailed Englander and asked about the possibility of a bottom shield to reduce the hearth requirement. The reply was a not surprising *no chance*. The speed of the reply was very encouraging :)
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Englander should serve you well. Have you settled on the 30NC?

For the record, the T5 is 2 cu ft. The T6 is 3 cu ft. FWIW, I'd go with the T6 if going with the PE. The cast iron jacket softens the heat. This is not a highly radiant stove except from the front. The mass of cast iron does soften the heat and releases it slowly into the room.
  7. twigg

twigg New Member

Loc:
    Oklahoma
    We are pretty much settled on the NC30, yes.

We saw a T6 today .... it's enormous, and we liked it a lot. We also saw a Quadrafire Isle Royale ..... looked awesome too.

But ..... it's off to Home Depot for metal studs and Durock.
  8. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    NC-30 is the way to go ,big quality firebox, modern handy features and at a good price
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.