1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice Needed: Our First Home Has a Zero Clearance Fireplace - Options?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CJRages, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    The ICC Excel chimney I think does.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/Insulated_Stainless_Steel_Chimney
    After my father's house burned down from a chimney fire in his Selkirk flue, I not only went with the higher rated ICC but I also used no wood in the chase and lined it with a radiation shield.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    So sorry for any confusion here.

There is now an 80s model insert installed into the fireplace. It will be sold or disposed of. Then, I'm hoping to purchase a new high efficiency approved wood burning insert.
  3. thechimneysweep

thechimneysweep Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bellingham, WA
    No.

Refer to step 2) in my post above.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    If you think it will satisfy your insurance company to just put in a liner I would use an insulated liner. The insulation will act as a standoff, keep the flue warmer and keep the chase cooler.
  5. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    That is an excellent post chimneysweep. I didn't read it correctly the first time... I have not double checked the system yet. Until then I'll be stuck in a holding pattern. It's great to know that one way or the other I'll have an answer though.

Thank you all for your insights! I've learned so much already.
  6. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
  7. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    Well....

As it turns out, the ZC fireplace is a Majestic. Not sure the model. There was a five digit number etched into the small metal plate attached in the upper right side of the metal box. Is that possibly the model number? Anyway I wrote all this down, but forgot to bring the paper back with us from the house. We are moving in this weekend and doing some final remodeling etc.

I'll continue to do some research on Majestic fireplaces and let you all know the results of what I find.
  8. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    Are there any ZC fireplaces that use single wall pipe? I thought all ZC's had either double wall or triple wall air cooled or wool and air cooled chimneys?
  9. CJRages

CJRages Member

Loc:
    Mid Missouri
    polaris,

I'm beginning to think that it is unlikely that this ZC fireplace has only a single wall pipe for venting purposes. I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that I didn't communicate clearly enough with the chimney/fireplace inspector when we were discussing the situaiton. I didn't know exactly what he was talking half the time. Clearly I had not have any experience with zero clearance fireplace set-ups and was unfimiliar with the language the inspector was using. :zip:

Confirmation will happen as soon as I'm able to get up on the roof again and pop the cover off the chase.

A seperate note:
    A couple of the Majestic ZC insert manuals at www.majesticproducts.com state: "Do not install a solid fuel burning insert or other products not specified for use with this fireplace."

My current burning question is: Does this eliminate ALL wood burning inserts or simply those that "are not specified for use with this product" - such as non-zero clearance rated wood burning inserts?

I'm afraid I know the answer.
  10. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    Yes, there is a bit of confusion there. I don't think any ZC manufactures(for liability reasons) state that they approve an insert or stove for use in their product. I think this is primarily due to the need to upgrade the chimney from 1700 to 2100. The stove manufactures feel it is safe as long as the 8" air cooled chimney is relined with a 6" liner. If the ZC manufacturers said it was OK then as you can imagine people would just shove an insert in there without the proper chimney upgrades, have a problem and claim they were not forewarned by the manufacturer. The ZC manufacturers don't test their units with either a stove or insert so they can't/won't vouch for them. It certainly does not mean that it can't be done safely and relatively inexpensively you just have to have a grasp of the two systems and how to make them work in conjunction with one another.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.