Advice on a security problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Max W

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2021
Maine
Two nights ago an attempt was made to break into my barn. The next day I found that the hasp’s eye on the side door had the start of a saw cut. I don’t know what scared the thieves off. Our neighbors are not very close and our road has only occasional traffic at night. I strongly suspect it was when my wife got up by chance at 2:00AM and turned off a light in the pantry whose door overlooks the barn.

The padlock on the entry door was plenty rugged but not the hasp eye. A saws-all could have cut it quickly and a hack saw in very little time. I replaced it with a heavy duty one thatI was able to get right away and will replace that with a hardened steel one asap. I’m thinking even with very long screws and through bolts this will only slow down a determined thief. I’m looking for ways to deter any future attempts.

One recommendation of the local PD is a game camera. That would likely help them more than me after my tools are gone. I will change my side outside lights to add motion detection as a possible deterrent. What I think I need is a loud alarm to give a culprit second thoughts and alert me. The problem with a motion detector alarm is that deer are populous here and regular visitors through our yard. I am looking for possible solutions on this.

Cops around here ignore property crimes where the value is less than 5 figures, even when the thief is easy to identify. Game/security cameras are worthless here for security. Maybe your community is different.

A device that turns on lights and makes a lot of noise may work better. Trigger it by something that a thief would do that a deer won't/can't, like opening a door, or a motion detector -inside- the barn. Maybe a (real or fake) alarm keypad with a blinking "armed" light, visible on the outside of the barn. A really determined thief will trigger an alarm repeatedly on different nights at difficult-for-you times (3:00 am?) until you get tired of it. Most thieves aren't that determined.

A dog might work, or geese. Or keep some fireworks around and set one off the next time the alarm goes off, and post a "no trespassing" sign with an image of a gun.

Most thieves are local and opportunistic. Local means it's easy for them to wait a while and try again. Opportunistic means easy to scare off. If the thief is part of an organized group, then the only reliable solution is to move the valuable stuff somewhere inhabited, like your basement.

IMO, in a rural area, odds are its a local, someone that you may know, probably out for drug money. To show up with cutting tools means they most likely were after something specific. If you have things like ATVs and motorcycles its worth locking them in way that they will not roll or blocking them in with other equipment. A couple of game cams will hopefully identify what they are driving. A basic alarm on the door using magnetic contacts on the door frame that turns on lights is probably pretty effective. A shotgun with blanks will probably reinforce to the thieves that there are better spots to steal from

get yourself something like a sea can lock it covers up the hasp so they cannot get in their to cut it... Back your bolts up with some steel plate or large washers so they cannot easily pull it out...

The culprits are almost certainly local and users. The pattern in our small town is stealing from yards, garages and sheds. I suspect they get dropped off a bit down the road or are already on foot. We had a great gentle shepherd with a loud bark some years back but are are not ready for all that care now. The satisfaction gotten from a greeting with a shotgun fired harmlessly very briefly did cross my mind. That and a protected by what ever brand / caliber gun sign may also be saying that there is something attractive with value inside when you are not home. The new hasp does have a 3/8 th inch carriage bolt through the door.

I have been trying to figure how a magnetic contact switch might work in this situation. They are
usually inside a building along with a device to set and turn off. I could set one on the outside of the door and recess the wiring in the jam but how to control it. If doable the switch connected to a loud alarm would be my preferred solution along with a motion sensor floodlight to replace our regular one. I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

I also just came across floodlight / cameras with sensors that could be mounted in my regular floodlight box. Some have sirens.The cameras seem to best fit with existing home systems, wifi and most requiring subscriptions. There are many variations. I trying to learn more about them. Some, I read, can distinguish humans.

The culprits are almost certainly local and users. The pattern in our small town is stealing from yards, garages and sheds. I suspect they get dropped off a bit down the road or are already on foot. We had a great gentle shepherd with a loud bark some years back but are are not ready for all that care now. The satisfaction gotten from a greeting with a shotgun fired harmlessly very briefly did cross my mind. That and a protected by what ever brand / caliber gun sign may also be saying that there is something attractive with value inside when you are not home. The new hasp does have a 3/8 th inch carriage bolt through the door.

I have been trying to figure how a magnetic contact switch might work in this situation. They are
usually inside a building along with a device to set and turn off. I could set one on the outside of the door and recess the wiring in the jam but how to control it. If doable the switch connected to a loud alarm would be my preferred solution along with a motion sensor floodlight to replace our regular one. I would like to keep it as simple as possible.

I also just came across floodlight / cameras with sensors that could be mounted in my regular floodlight box. Some have sirens.The cameras seem to best fit with existing home systems, wifi and most requiring subscriptions. There are many variations. I trying to learn more about them. Some, I read, can distinguish humans.
Moderately priced security cameras can often distinguish humans from coyotes, but larger wildlife like bears or deer may still fool them.

Think about your threat model. Small town, stealing from yards, garages, and sheds: sounds like casual, opportunist theft. A magnetic switch or an IR detector (maybe both) with a light and an alarm loud enough to wake people in the house up may be enough as long as they have to go through the door to get into the space. A determined / organized thief who waits for the property to be unoccupied won't be stopped by a light and a noisemaker. A tie to a security company only helps if they will respond before the thief can grab and run. A really determined / smarter thief can foil a security camera by holding a large piece of cloth between themselves and the camera.

Layers…
Fencing to direct travel path. Trim any landscaping that can be used as cover (add landscaping that can be used as a deterrent). Cameras, decoys are about $10 each. Motion lights outside. Lights inside the house on timers. Secure the building with better hardware which you’ve already started doing. Man door reinforcement, father in law has a steel door with 12 gauge plate (I think, may be thicker) about 12” by 24” where the locking hardware mounts. Frame side of the door is backed up by 1” square tube, hinge and lock side. People have pounded on it with a sledge hammer a few times and it held. Any other doors you can secure from the inside ie deadbolt on garage door locking into the track, swing doors get barred (with gap covered so they can’t slip a hacksaw blade in and slice the pipe/board. I prefer hasp and locks on all of the doors so even if they crawl in through a window or cut a hole in the wall they have to go back out the way they came in! Also stainless is expensive but good stainless is also hard to cut short of using carbide blades…just saying. No dog? No problem. I’m not aware of any laws that require you to actually have a dog to have a dog house in the yard, a feed/water bowl set out for “sir nips a lot”. Etc… The goal is not to make your place Fort Knox, if the thief is determined they will get in, the goal is to turn your place into a harder target than else where (sorry neighbors). If they had time and determination to figure out all of that out they’d already be working a job somewhere instead of trying to steal your stuff. The ultimate solution is a change in course at the community/civilization level…but in the mean time you have successfully set off my paranoia about security and I will now have to review my own home security plans! _g

Reactions: NHWS
I found that door sensor alarms with magnetic contact switches don’t have to be wired. Guess I’ve been behind the times. I ordered a wireless alarm that has a sending range that should allow a switch on the barn entry door and the the alarm unit to be plugged and sounded inside the house. Also ordered a basic motion sensing outdoor light unit. It does have a remote to allow different modes without having to climb up to the light. Any camera would be separate. Still undecided there.

Will keep the chainsaw, my most valued tool, and brush cutter in the cellar, a pain but worth it. Will cover the windows in that side door and try to arrange things to make some wheeled things difficult to move. Getting a dog is pretty much out but security aside the thought has me a little wistful.

Vibration switch for door or window, they can be gotten with variable sensitivity. Sebastian geese meaner and noisier than any dog, very territorial when disturbed by unknown entity. Bonus Goose dinner. Problem now days is anything used that is proactive ( could damage intruder) gets you in trouble ( pure bovine patties in my book, friging libs).

I used to run a heavy lock cable through the front tires on my atv when I lived in a place that was difficult to lock it up. It was rubber coated so no damage to the atv. It would have been pretty hard to slide that thing.

Amazon product ASIN B0B43S7FMN

A game camera watching it might be fun.
That's funny... I was thinking 12 gauge too, but not wire! ;lol

We went the cameras route. I suppose if someone is bound and determined to get into my barn, they surely can. But they and their vehicle will be on full high-def 1080p, and likely easily identified by local law enforcement.

We also have a monitored alarm system, which includes the barn. If any door opens on the barn or shed, it will trigger our alarm system, which is shared between house and barn. It is very likely I will be upon them before the police have a chance to arrive, as there is some interest in not giving them an opportunity to escape and visit another night.

I'd suggest you start with a motion-activated floodlight / camera system (eg. Ring), and possibly add a wireless alarm system from Alarm360, Frontpoint or SimpliSafe. Just be sure the system you choose has the capability of adding repeaters and/or range extenders, if the barn is any distance from the house or control panel.

Reactions: hockeypuck
SimpliSafe... I have one in my primary home and my home in Maine. Just put my one in Maine more for squatters than anything. We have never had a problem there in 12 years. Easy to install and just hanging the sign on your property will probably make someone move on to the next victim.

SimpliSafe... I have one in my primary home and my home in Maine. Just put my one in Maine more for squatters than anything. We have never had a problem there in 12 years. Easy to install and just hanging the sign on your property will probably make someone move on to the next victim.
One of the most cost-effective things to do is to put up a few professional-looking signs advertising your security system. Get them printed at a local sign shop so they don't look home made. Add a plausible looking logo and a plausible (or better yet, a real) phone number.

You don't need to have a security system, just make it look like you do. Won't deter all thieves, but it is likely to help.