Advice on burning Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to ask if people have discovered that different techniques are needed to burn loads that solely consist of particularly hard woods, such as oak?

I thought I was having a steep curve learning how to reuse my stove since it got fixed recently and was now behaving very differently ( presumably as it should behave!). It seemed to me that learning curve had been complicated by the fact I was exploring different ways of handling burn cycles. Now I have come to realise that there is a another factor in my learning curve... Which might make it look even more complex, except for the fact that I think it may turn out to be that this one thing has been causing the issue all along... The issue being that I seem recently to be rarely able to get any secondary burns from my current wood (which is well under 20% moisture and not huge splits.. But it IS all oak)...

So now I am wondering if the stove is not the issue, but rather the dense wood I am burning and am not used to. I've been burning hardwoods all along, but usually a mix of ash, birch and a little oak. I realised today (duh) that my wood I'm using right now, exactly since the changes in burn behaviour ( and coincidentally also exactly since my stove was fixed) is all oak. I've never burned only oak before. This is what I am discovering..

- I fill the stove up and the primary air is of course open.

- Normally, I would be able to turn the air down after around 15 mins and secondaries would arrive. The stove-top temp would be around 550-600 F by this point.

- Now however, with the oak, it's burning very differently. During the hot burn period, only the sides of the logs are flaming for ages. If I try to turn down after the usual amount of time the flames die right back and the logs smoulder. I have to open up the air again.

I have tried all manner of permutations with regard to when I begin to shut down the air ( remember, until today, I thought the issue was my stove) but it seems that all I can do is keep the air almost completely open or the flames die back and no secondaries.

This situation can last for almost two hours, during which time the stove top temp never exceeds 600 and is mostly closer to 550. It's as if the stove is struggling to be able to work hard enough to make an impression on this wood.

After almost two hours the wood finally starts to flame on the upper surfaces as well as the sides and there may be secondaries around then if I turn the air down by about 1/4 - no more, or the logs smoulder again... And the secondaries last only a few minutes before they die away.

So at this point in time, after almost two hours of flaming hard, so as I don't get smoke from my flue, the logs are now down to just red coals. They still have form, but won't for much longer... In effect this means my logs are burning quicker because of the high air flow (understandable) but cannot be burned more slowly or they smoulder without secondaries?!

Can anyone out there advise me if burning only oak really should be such a different experience and if oak is normally so reluctant to release it's gases? Am I missing something? I do recall hearing some say once, of a load of oak, "I can't get this stuff to burn"...

I feel like I'm sounding a bit crazy here.. But this really has been my experience the last few days.
I have burned red oak for almost 25 years. The key to burning oak is that it is well seasoned. I have always let my oak season for 16 months. Red oak is a great fire wood and will burn clean and hot. Oak, when well seasoned, will give you a great coal bed and will burn real hot. The thing I liked about oak is you can choke down your fire once it is going, and it will give off little smoke and won't build up creosote. The key is, it has to be dry. The troubles you are experiencing are the same things I have run into over the years when I was trying to burn it not well seasoned.

I did wonder if we would be talking about different types of oak.

Seasoning over here is a very different affair than over your way. Nothing can stay outside and my log shed has a tarred roof and doors on it!

Oak is evil.

Worse than pine.

You need to send it to me, and I will safely dispose of it for you.

:p

I did wonder if we would be talking about different types of oak.

Seasoning over here is a very different affair than over your way. Nothing can stay outside and my log shed has a tarred roof and doors on it!
I didn't even notice that you are in Scotland. You are right, not sure if the oak here is anything like the oak over there. Send some over and I'll do a test. I know the oak here is great if seasoned right. Good luck!!

The oak's fine - it's burning well now. I'm beginning to think maybe the top of the pile was a little off, maybe some rain got to it. The rest has been burning really great... Sorry Dixie-eyed and Husky, you're not getting any! ;)

The oak's fine - it's burning well now. I'm beginning to think maybe the top of the pile was a little off, maybe some rain got to it. The rest has been burning really great... Sorry Dixie-eyed and Husky, you're not getting any! ;)

Damn.

Call me Dix, everyone else does :)

Hee hee ,my wife just told me I'm obsessed with this wood burning thing ! I asked are you warmer now than last year ? She's like hell yea ! Obsession will stay !
My wife just asked me are you blogging about wood again. So I used your statement, and obsession will stay

Reactions: tinman1
I cut trees for a living and i bring home my own wood, i split it down to about 6 to 8 inches of cut pieces and stack it on my wood racks against the fence to let dry naturally. I have pin oak that i have taken home split and stacked since last may and my moisture content was 17% to 15% moisture. I dont know any wood that even if you let sit for 2 years or more and the moisture content is lower than 15% not unless its in some barn house or air cubby. I burn pin oak, red oak, silver maple, cherry, gum, locust, popular, sycamore, and Norwood Maple, etc...except for pine, well Kindlin is pine.. just let your wood sit with just a tarp or black plastic just on top of wood to keep the rain or snow off the top and from dripping down inside. If its not going to rain or snow then you can leave the tarp off the more air passes through the better. Its just time, and if you get wood from a supplier than get it early enough so it can sit and season some more, some claim there wood is seasoned so just take your MM with you and check. Get it like December or January and let it sit till the burning season.

Reactions: lindnova
Status
Not open for further replies.