Advice on cleaning flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I went up to my sisters this weekend and replaced all the gaskets on her Keystone but not sure how to attack the flue. She has a free stander with the flue going up 2-3 feet then a 90 into the masonry flue, do you guys remove the inside flues and brush it down to a cleanout? I set mine up where it goes straight down to a 2 foot section of pipe and I take the cap off and vacuum it my HEPA vacuum. Can anyone advise me how to do here?

I went up to my sisters this weekend and replaced all the gaskets on her Keystone but not sure how to attack the flue. She has a free stander with the flue going up 2-3 feet then a 90 into the masonry flue, do you guys remove the inside flues and brush it down to a cleanout? I set mine up where it goes straight down to a 2 foot section of pipe and I take the cap off and vacuum it my HEPA vacuum. Can anyone advise me how to do here?
You need to remove the pipes and clean them and the chimney.

You need to remove the pipes and clean them and the chimney.
That's what I thought, I assume there's a clean out somewhere?

If it's a maybe not where would the creoste go to be cleaned up?
If there isn't a clean out you will need to suck it out with a vacuum

If there isn't a clean out you will need to suck it out with a vacuum
thanks Bholler, she lives up in Maine so I need plan before going

I found this on the net and would this article be good advice for the flue cleaners attempts at cleaning out the wood stove at your sisters house...You most likely already know about these things but it was interesting to read anyway..

Reactions: weatherguy
I found this on the net and would this article be good advice for the flue cleaners attempts at cleaning out the wood stove at your sisters house...You most likely already know about these things but it was interesting to read anyway..
That's a nice homey article, but it says little about the actual cleaning. Looking at the pictures, it's no wonder they are getting such a huge amount of creosote buildup. Worse than that is their illegal, stovepipe chimney (it must be insulated class A) and the fact that the stovepipe is installed upside down. This is why they have creosote dripping down it.

It's often good to be self-reliant but when dealing with a fire in the house, a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Last edited:
One cannot trust anything on the net and one needs a microscope to make sure that they are giving you the right information--------that's terrible and glad your around to set the record straight...You cannot even trust cleaning a flue pipe know how on the net..

They mean well, but there are some really bad articles on stoves, wood burning etc. out there. It keeps us busy here. Meanwhile, this is not the definitive article, but more helpful.

Reactions: weatherguy
That a nice article by home depot----------would not you think "someone" would think of a way to "clean" one out that is more easier with maybe a "take apart something halfway"---I am into "out of the box" thinking this morning but "there has to be a easier way...Thanks--nice article ..informative as well..

That a nice article by home depot----------would not you think "someone" would think of a way to "clean" one out that is more easier with maybe a "take apart something halfway"---I am into "out of the box" thinking this morning but "there has to be a easier way...Thanks--nice article ..informative as well..
There are many different ways to clean. Most of us pros no longer use brushes. Most of us have switched over to rotary cleaners. Many here use the homeowner grade version called the sooteater. But regardless different setups require different methods

There are many different ways to clean. Most of us pros no longer use brushes. Most of us have switched over to rotary cleaners. Many here use the homeowner grade version called the sooteater. But regardless different setups require different methods
I'm going to buy a sooteater for me and use it at her place next time I go up. Seems the easiest way to do it for both of us. She has a cleanout so should be a piece of cake.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm going to buy a sooteater for me and use it at her place next time I go up. Seems the easiest way to do it for both of us. She has a cleanout so should be a piece of cake.
Can you bottom-up sweep thru the cleanout?