Advice on dropping two EAB ash trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
My neighbor has two almost dead ash trees in her back yard. I have room to drop them They are three feet in diameter at the base. I have dropped a lot of trees But I figured I would reach out to the wisdom of this group to see if there is anything I should watch out for.

Thanks

falling limbs. dead ash drop a lot of limbs on the way down and make a mess when they hit. bring a helmet and a rake.

be safe.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Dropped one just like that last Sept. About 12' up, trunk separated into two equal 24" diameter sections, but one had 4'-5' of back lean. Measured what I would need to tip it. Double wedging should do it. Kept eating the wedges. Had to finagle a bottle jack in to finish it over. Once down discovered that the front side was bone dry, but the back leaning side was still full of water causing major gravitational imbalance and my calculations to be way off. Couldn't tell by looking at it either, as neither side had leaves, but fully barked. Be careful and plan ahead for poss problems. Have good PPE.

Reactions: Woody Stover
One thing that saved me from real trouble on that tree was good hinge wood. So keep that in mind as well if it's a rotter.

All great advice!!!! Thanks.

I would watch for the trunk possibly snapping and going where you don't want. I had a branch cut out of my ash tree recently and there's a 1" hole that is through the center of the 12" limb that was cut. Could pose an issue of your tree has the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.