Advice on installing in a central floorplan location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Can a horizontal vent run 12 feet to the center of my basement?

• Sure, I’ve done it and it worked great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, I’ve done it, but it won’t work great / don’t recomment trying it.

• Could be done, but I’ve never seen it.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeangel

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
NE Ohio
I have seen a few posts on the issue of horizontal venting - mostly advising against doing it apparently. I am thinking of a basement layout plan that would allow me to put a stove of some type in the center of the floor plan. My house (build in 2005) has no chimney at all, and the natural gas furnace that heats most of the house is just vented (power vent) via a long run of PVC pipe out the back of the house.

For my basement, I'd like a dedicated heat source that I can locate in the middle of the layout, and vent out through a horizontal run at ceiling height that would exit to fresh air about 12-18" above grade (any higher, and I'll be cutting through the floor of my first floor!). The first thing that came to mind is a pellet stove with a blower. However, in trying to do my homework, I am getting a feeling that such an install would be questionable.

I was hoping there would be some way to go up from the stove to the space between my floor joists, i.e., an initial 8 foot vertical rise, and then turn 90 degrees and have a 12 foot horizontal run between the floor joists exiting the house as described above pretty close to grade. There is nothing but grass there (no trees or shrubs to catch fire), but as a practical matter, if it would make a difference, there is no reason I couldn't tack on a vertical run once outside in the back of my house, although there may be a local "aesthetic" restrictions on exterior chimney pipe (but for now, let's just assume there are none). There is pretty close to 14" between joists, so I could probably manage to have three inches clearance on each side of a 6" O.D. chimney pipe. For now, the space is exposed, but I might end up enclosing, which would make it preferable to have some type of setup that could get by with less than 3" (e.g., 1") minimum clearance from combustibles.

Can anyone here offer specific advice on a venting setup that might work in this situation, and/or a particular way that I would be able to vent out from the location I'm looking at using for a stove? Going straight up through the roof is not an option. Nor do I want to put the proposed stove up against an exterior wall if there is any option where this wouldn't be necessary.

Here is a diagram showing the setup. I was really hoping to do this with just the run in blue:

stove.jpg

Specific products (stoves, vent systems) that are known to work for this application would be especially helpful. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.