Advice on replacing existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcavhs

Mar 17, 2016
Minnesota
I live in an approximately 1100 sq ft condo. I have an existing fireplace. It looks to be a wood burning fireplace that had a gas log set installed immediately. The home inspector had some safety concerns with the placement of the controls so I never actually have used it in 7+ years. I'm also not a fan of how it looks or the fact that the doors open (both due to exhaust from a fire and safety issues with friends' little kids).

So I'm looking to either do an insert or completely replace the fireplace with a new gas one. I was thinking an insert since it is easier and they appear to be more efficient. But I'm also going to be replacing the surround as well so that and the larger viewing area makes a full replacement make more sense. I'm looking for a more modern look.

For inserts the ones I have bids on are:
Heat & Glo Cosmo I-30
Mendota FV33i MOD
Regency HR14E

For full fireplaces I have bids on
Mednota FV41 MOD
Kozy Heat Bayport 36

I'd love to get thoughts on an insert vs full replacement and any comments on the specific models. I like the Mendotas because they have a significantly bigger viewing area, but the FV33i is coming in around $1000 than the Regency HR14E and the FV41 is about $1800 more than the Bayport 36. So I'm just wondering if they are worth it.

I'm including a photo of what I have now. I'm planning on ripping out the tile and white brick current around the fireplace and adding some stonework and a mantel shelf.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 186
If you want more viewing area, an insert is NOT the way to go. The unit will be smaller than the existing opening. Otherwise it won't fit. If you replace everything that's there right now, it will take two or three installers a FULL workday to do the job. 4 hours for the tear out & 4 hours for the new install, including the mantle & finish. If you tear the existing unit out, have your hearth shop install the new unit & then install the finish, you will save a TON of $$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.