Advice on sealing internal pipe vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenalmond

Jul 25, 2008
Boston MA
i had to clean some old vent caulking off the internal vent pipes and recaulk the t junction cap with bright red hIgh temp silicone sealant. No matter how much I apply around the internal joints I seem to get a lot of smoke leaking out. My stove is in a tight corner so access to the pipe and bends are not easy. Any advice or suggestions on how best to apply the caulk and which one to use. Right now I am essentially putting a big bead on my glove hand and trying to smear it around the pipe joins mostly by feel.

Thanks
Con

Glenalmond said:
i had to clean some old vent caulking off the internal vent pipes and recaulk the t junction cap with bright red hIgh temp silicone sealant. No matter how much I apply around the internal joints I seem to get a lot of smoke leaking out. My stove is in a tight corner so access to the pipe and bends are not easy. Any advice or suggestions on how best to apply the caulk and which one to use. Right now I am essentially putting a big bead on my glove hand and trying to smear it around the pipe joins mostly by feel.

Thanks
Con
I use foil tape to seal the joints.

Reactions: cecil_archer
The pipes need to be sealed on the inner pipe.Not supposed to have to,but this is the real world.If the inner pipe leaks,the smoke/gases can travel up and down inside the two layers.Some manufacturers even have a replaceable inner seal.They still seem to leak.Some pipe is better than others.The people that install them for a living should chime in here for the best pipe mfg.On duravent,i like to silicone shut the little gaps at the ends of each pipe,between the layers,sealer on the gasket inside,and tape on the outside.Once pipe is sealed together,never try to take apart,just replace.

Reactions: rona
You may be able to get the joints sealed with the aluminum tape recommended in a previous reply, or with fusible silicone tape. The problem you may have is trying to get a good seal over the caulking that you've used in the attempt to seal it already.

Might be better to pull the pipes, try to clean up the excess caulking, then use the caulking between the mating surfaces when reassembling.

Reactions: bogieb
My experience with foil tape is that it develops pinholes easily and wears out in a season - although that may be a product of having a damp basement in spring/summer. Self sealing silicone tape seems to be more durable. But, with that being said, womus and Bob have good information there.

Found this on the web...silicone sealant is a bear to remove fully, but it can be done.

Residue Removal
Removing silicone caulk residue effectively is a two- or three-part process. Softening the residue by prolonged exposure to mineral spirits loosens its bond with the substrate. Leaving one or several rags soaked with the solvent in contact with the caulk for several hours is the best way to accomplish this. When the residue has softened, much of it will come off under the vigorous action of a scrub brush, but you may need a razor knife or pull scraper for stubborn patches. Avoid sandpaper. No matter how coarse the grit, silicone caulk simply gums it up and renders it ineffective.

Considerations
Avoid using mineral spirits on painted, lacquered or otherwise finished surfaces. Denatured alcohol may be an appropriate substitute, but it's best to test any solvent you use on an inconspicuous part of the substrate and avoid it if you notice discoloration or other undesirable effects. In lieu of soaking a rag with solvents, you may be able to remove the residue by soaking an abrasive sponge instead. Softening the residue and scrubbing it at the same time is most likely to be effective on smooth substrates such as glass, tile or Formica.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I did a quick look up on pricing for a T with clean out fitting 2 angles and a 6'' long pipe and a harman adaptor and it easily came to about $200 using Duravent as a guide.

I resealed the T clean out cap today with a lot more silicone and hopefully that will fix the problem otherwise my choices are pull the vent pipe and order similar parts or clean them off (all of which is time consuming)

Con

Status
Not open for further replies.