Advice on size and model of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buickgn

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2007
North Central Ohio
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have read a lot of the posts regarding selecting a wood burning insert.

The house is 3,200 sq ft two level with a full basement and 8 ft ceilings. The see through fireplace is located in a 900 sf ft area of the 1,700 sq ft main level.

The home is heated by a heat pump.

How should I size the insert by the size of the 1,700 sq ft main level or the immediate area surrounding the fireplace?

So far I have been considering the following brands, Osburn, nepoleon, Pacicific Energy and Vermont Casting.

I would sure appreciate some assistance.

Well, the see through fireplace - by which I assume you mean open on both sides? is going to be a problem to match - all the inserts I'm familiar with are single sided, and are intended to go into a standard single opening fireplace. To use an insert in that fireplace, you presumably would need to turn it into a single opening fireplace and I'm not sure how one could do that and be code compliant, since standard design on a fireplace calls for very substantial walls.

What might work somewhat better is to put a top vent wood stove into the opening, and blow air through the space around the stove - this would give similar results, but be easier to make code compliant. People on one side or the other would be looking at the back side of the stove, but that would presumably be no worse than a bricked up opening.

What ever you do, you will almost certainly need to install a full liner (preferably insulated) and blockoff plate in the chimney.

Now, "20 Questions" time so that we can give you better advice...

Are you interested in heating with the stove, or do you just want to enjoy the ambiance of an occasional fire?
If you want to heat with it, do you want to burn 24/7 or just nights and weekends?
How much of the house do you want to heat?
Does burn duration matter very much to you?

Whereabouts do you live, what is your heating season like - temp range, low temps, how long, etc.? (please put your location in your profile)
How well is your house insulated, and how "tight" is it? (Note that improving your weather sealing is generally the best and fastest return on your investment)
What is your floor plan like - "open" or "closed"?
Try to post a "rough sketch" floor plan, showing where the fireplace is.

What size is the fireplace firebox?
What size is the chimney flue? How tall is it?
Is this a masonry fireplace or a pre-fab, "zero clearance" fireplace?
Is the chimney in good condition? Does it have a clay liner?

What is your wood supply like? Do you have some currently cut? How much? What kind? How do you get your wood?

Any other info you'd like to share?

Gooserider

Like Goose said, if this is a see through fireplace, visible fire on two sides, then your options are limited. Perhaps a freestanding stove can be installed in there, if it will fit. Pictures and dimensions will help a lot in figuring out what the options are.

Gooserider -

Thanks for responding.

Stove or insert? I am open to either option.

Fire usage- Ambiance and heating (24/7) at leat the main floor (rougly 1,700 sq ft)

Burn duration - at least 8 hours

Temps- North Central Ohio (Moderate winter temps)

Floor plan - 1,700 on the main (fire place) level, of that 900 sq ft is open around the fireplace. (Two story ranch totaling 3,200 sq ft)

House is well insulated and 20 years old

All brick Firebox is 32" wide by 27" tall

Flu is a clay liner 11" x 7" inner dimension and is roughly 25' tall and in very good shape

Flu/chimney is also located in the center of the home

I have 2 cords of seasoned hard wood ready

Thanks

I think I'd go with a freestanding stove like the Vermont castings. That fireplace sounds like a decorative piece, and the more ornate VC product would do well. But get a big one for that size space.

Well I still kind of like my original idea of a top venting stove stuffed in the middle of the fireplace and venting straight up through a liner, and using a well insulated block-off plate to keep the heat in the house. The challenge will be finding someting that will fit - the 32" wide isn't a problem, but the 27" high might be. However if you keep the stove inside the fireplace, then you are probably on a solid masonry (non-combustible) hearth and can get away with a short leg stove, which will help.

I would look for something in a 2.5-3 cu. ft fireplace to get the longer burn times, and would be tempted by soapstone if you are planning to burn 24/7. That would give a good bit of convection heating if you set up a blower to send air through the fireplace, and at the same time the radiant heat from the soapstone will warm the masonry and turn the fireplace into a sort of imitation masonry heater.

Gooserider

no doubt about it. That's a good looking stove. It will suplement your heating quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.