Advice on Stove inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
Two years ago my wife and I bought a home with a woodstove. Its a Fisher and heats most of the house quite well. My question is this : Should I have someone come out and inspect the installation and if so.....who? I would hate to have a problem from the stove and end up sitting across a table from the insurance companies attorney and next to mine....Thanks

I would highly recommend it. You can probably pay the country inspector to come out and check it out, or the fire department might be able to do it for you.

Quite honestly, I might tell you to replace the Fisher with something more modern and with higher burning efficiency, but ultimately that decisions would be up to you. Before calling the inspector though, I would break out the tape measure and give it a good hard look yourself. Inspect the flue, check clearances, etc. You don't want him to come out and then fail you, but you do want the installation to be 100% safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.