Advice or Comments on Comparison of Hampton H200/H300 vs. Quadrafire Explorer I/II?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mountain Stove

Jan 9, 2017
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Looking for advice to help decision on which woodstove to buy. Been reading these boards and findings you folks all know a heck of a lot about woodstoves and woodfires, wow. Total newbies here.
Buying a freestanding woodstove to replace a non-EPA compliant freestanding, prefab metal fireplace. The hearth and chimney are already in and plenty big; clearances don't seem to be an issue. We're told we want non-catalytic technology. When initially installed, fireplace was mainly for looks/ambiance. This is a high altitude (8,000') three-level townhouse, 1,300 sq. feet, with stove located on 2d (main) level. Will use it for heat on main level and loft will likely be kept warm, but no way I can see it can provide heat to basement bedrooms. So heating space is about 650 sq ft.
Seem to have narrowed it down to these two models, Hampton H200 or H300 and Quadrafire Explorer I or Explorer II, and looking for input as to any deciding factors? So far as I can tell, technology and construction seem pretty similar; there are tons of reviews on Quadrafire products, only very very few on their Explorer model; a few more reviews on Hampton model. Both owners seem pretty pleased with products. Any input on deciding factors in choosing between these brands, or ease of use/maintenance/etc. would be appreciated. Also, in both cases we are considering going with the larger stove for the longer burn times and ability to use larger logs, but we are wary of overheating the place, so any input on that score would be helpful too.
Thanks in advance to any who take the time to read and comment.

Whoever told you not to get a catalytic stove probably doesn't have any to sell you.

This place is flooded with people running catalytic stoves and most of us would never go back.

Catalytic stoves control the heat output more on the low end and allow you to burn low and slow. 500 f is needed in the firebox and flue to keep the cat active. 1000f is needed in a non cat stove for the secondaries to light (needed to burn clean). So non cat stoves lack the low end control of catalytic stoves. Having a catalytic stove would be a major advantage for you in this scenario. Cat maintenance is easy. Simply brush the foil a little and vacuum a couple times a season. It takes me 5 minutes and it's worth it.

Reactions: Mountain Stove
There are core differences between these stoves. The Hampton's are a true cast iron stoves, like some Jotuls and Morsos. It is quite a radiant heater and has a benefit of being able to work on a shorter chimney. That may be helpful with this high altitude installation, though you still may need more than the minimum chimney height for good performance. The Quad Explorer series was introduced last year, thus fewer reviews. So far though users like them. The Quads are steel stoves with a cast iron jacket, similar to the Napoleon 1400C or Pacific Energy Alderlea series. This style stove has closer clearances and is mostly convective at the sides and strongly radiant from the front. This affords them closer clearances and great durability.

Do you know approximately how tall will the chimney be?

Reactions: Mountain Stove
@begreen - thank you for your response, so glad I posted here.
The installation quote shows about 7' of pipe, I think it's actually longer than that. Going to try to attach photo of the installed fireplace it's replacing, so you can see.
Apart from the chimney and clearance issues, are there other differences I will note between the radiant and convective heating? One of the options we're considering is buying the optional screen so we can burn them with the doors open sometimes, would that be an issue?
Other important factors to us are ease of operation and cleaning, and length of burn time to heat through the night.
I did look at the Alderlea T4, but there are no local dealers so I think that's not going to work. Will check out the Napoleon.

Attachments

• Fireplace in Mammoth Condo.JPG
    Fireplace in Mammoth Condo.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 194
Seven feet would never work well, even at sea level. Do you mean 7 ft of stove pipe indoors? If so, how much chimney outdoors? Also, what is the existing stove pipe diameter?

begreen, I did mean 7 ft. of stove pipe indoors. I have no idea how much chimney is outdoors. Existing stove pipe diameter looks to be 8-10, but they are using adapters to change it to 6" with the new stove.

The increase in chimney size is going to further compromise draft. 10" would be unacceptable, but even 8" may hurt given the high altitude installation.

It's the stove that dictates the required flue size. The stove pipe would be increasing from the 6" stove flue size to the larger stove pipe or chimney size.

Last edited:
There are cire differences between these stoves. The Hampton's are a true cast iron stoves, like some Jotuls and Morsos. It is quite a radiant heater and has a benefit of being able to work on a shorter chimney. That may be helpful with this high altitude installation, though you still may need more than the minimum chimney height for good performance. The Quad Explorer series was introduced last year, thus fewer reviews. So far though users like them. The Quads are steel stoves with a cast iron jacket, similar to the Napoleon 1400C or Pacific Energy Alderlea series. This style stove has closer clearances and is mostly convective at the sides and strongly radiant from the front. This affords them closer clearances and great durability.

Do you know approximately how tall will the chimney be?
Begreen what do u mean by the hi300 being a true cast Iron stove. I have one its steel with a cast iron facade..

This is the H300, the freestanding stove. Not the same construction as the insert.