advicw for geting 8 in flex thru damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billz

Oct 9, 2008
Fountain Inn SC
I just got a 4 year old High Valley 2500 off of CL. It takes 8 inch pipe. I have about a 30foot chimney with 13 inch tile. Looks like the damper opening is about 4 inches. I'm thinking I can cut some of the damper to get it maybe 6 inches wide.
So do I ovalize the bottom 4 feet before I drop it down? I would love to hear from someone who has done this before.

What if I run 6 or 7 inch pipe instead of 8?

thanks

Don't downsize the pipe. The stove needs the size it was designed for. Remove the damper amd make a block off plate from sheetmetal. You may need the help of a mason.

You can remove the damper plate and cut the damper throat with a grinder and cut off wheel to get the pipe through. Cut the throat in a couple of places and hit it with a hand sledge it should be cast and break fairly easily. Then install a block off plate (as metioned above) made from pan material for furnaces. There is a picture of mine in the link to my thread of my install.

Status
Not open for further replies.