After 7 years time to change the Baby! Ash Door & Fire Door Gasket Change - See new step

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
This fire door gasket is frayed, worn, stiff and very dirty on this Magnum Baby Countryside!
The ash pan door gasket is not to bad but I want to try some graphite impregnated gasket that is a little thicker.

Looks like it's time for a change? In fact 3-4 years would be better in this case! It does depend on use.

I used the high quality graphite impregnated rope door gasket and flat graphite impregnated ash pan or ash door gasket. The ash door gasket is the Enviro tape gasket. It is a real good gasket.

See pics.
Example shown below is a Magnum Baby Countryside fire box door and ash pan door. However any stove can be serviced this way to restore it's top performance.

The added step is to wire brush and mask off the glass holding clips and screws plus the metal edge. Then I sprayed with the Dry Moly to keep them looking good and slow down the rusting! High temp Stove Bright paint could also be used here, just personal preference but it definitely looks better!

Is anyone going to do their door gaskets this summer?
Click on pics below to Enlarge:

Attachments

• DoorGasket1original.JPG
    DoorGasket1original.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 240
  • doorGasket2removed.JPG
    doorGasket2removed.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 243
  • DoorGasket3removeOldAdheasive.JPG
    DoorGasket3removeOldAdheasive.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DoorGasket4BrushClean.JPG