1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

After Dinner Workout

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Willhound, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Just came back in from a bit of after dinner excercise with the wife, daughter and neice. This is the starter pile I stack next to my side door every fall. White birch, about 5 face cord, or around 1 3/4 bush cords.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Purina Summit Chow
  3. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    took me a minute BB, especially with the white birch,,two points for the laughs...thanks

Also first time i heard a cord called a "bush cord"
  4. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    "Summit Chow".....heh heh, Brother Bart, that's good.

Never heard "bush" cord in Vermont?
    There is a lot of commercial wood cutting around here, lumber and newsprint mills etc.

These days, wood is measured in cubic metres (Canadian, Eh!)

But in the old days it was measured in a full cord (4'X4'X8' or "bush" cord for commercial use, or a "face" cord, 4'X8'X whatever length you are burning - 16 to 18 " in this case. It's an easy way for us to figure out of someone is talking about a "house" or face cord, rather than a full, or "bush" cord.
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Very nice work out. Now your bound to get snow .
  6. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Snow in the forecast tonight Roo. That's why the pile got put up. Summit is lit, and I'm ready. Overnight temps expected to drop below 0C or around 30 F. It is Sept, after all...... :p
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I don't think I will ever see anything as funny as your picture of that ash can last year.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/652/
  8. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Yep, it's waiting to go into service again! Hoo boy, what goes on the forum, stays on the forum, eh?
  9. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    If you are getting that cold tonight you must be way up in Northern Ontario!! Timmins area? Was up through bruce mines a couple times,, maybe that is southern!! Both places here they are talking low 50's, looks pretty warm next 10 days..
  10. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Wow , 30° not too bad .......... you'll only need one 4" split for tonight and that should last 24 hours in your "SUMMIT"
  11. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Yep, Timmins area. Looking at -1 C overnight, with rain, possible snow. Early in the year though, even for here. On the positive side, we'll still see some nice weather, into the 50's and 60's F during the day, but below freezing from here on in most nights.
  12. minesmoria

minesmoria New Member

willhound,

what burn times do you get with the white birch, if you load it up at night say 11.30 pm do you still have enough coals at 8:00 am rake coals to front damper on high toss more logs in and presto?
  13. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin Ma
    Nice stack of wood. How much wood do you burn a year?
  14. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Yep, usually. My standard practice before bed is to fill it as full as I can get it, let it rip for 10 minutes or so until things are burning good, and then I usually close the damper right down before going to bed. Most mornings, the temperature controlled fan is still running and there are enough coals to bank it up, throw in a few pieces and open the drafts, and in a few minutes back o full burn.

The reason for the white birch is that it is about the only "hardwood" readily available around here. There is a little bit of Ash, but usually doesn't grow big enough to be useable as firewood. Other than that, it's all pine or aspen (poplar).
  15. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Last year I burned about 3 bush cords, but I didn't get the insert installed until early December, and by mid-April I was scrounging for wood. I have 5 on hand this year, and I'm hoping that 4 will do it, with 1 left over to season really well. Burning season here is usually from about now (been burning for three days now) and lasts until the middle of May, and maybe longer if cool at night.

Last year I burned 24/7 and was working out of a home office, so kept it going pretty good all day. This year I will be moving into a commercial office very soon, so will let the temps drop in the house during the day, therefore might save a bit of wood.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.