After Dinner Workout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
Just came back in from a bit of after dinner excercise with the wife, daughter and neice. This is the starter pile I stack next to my side door every fall. White birch, about 5 face cord, or around 1 3/4 bush cords.

Attachments

• Birch.jpg
    Birch.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 876
Willhound said:
Just came back in from a bit of after dinner excercise with the wife, daughter and neice. This is the starter pile I stack next to my side door every fall. White birch, about 5 face cord, or around 1 3/4 bush cords.

Purina Summit Chow

took me a minute BB, especially with the white birch,,two points for the laughs...thanks

Also first time i heard a cord called a "bush cord"

"Summit Chow".....heh heh, Brother Bart, that's good.

Never heard "bush" cord in Vermont?
There is a lot of commercial wood cutting around here, lumber and newsprint mills etc.

These days, wood is measured in cubic metres (Canadian, Eh!)

But in the old days it was measured in a full cord (4'X4'X8' or "bush" cord for commercial use, or a "face" cord, 4'X8'X whatever length you are burning - 16 to 18 " in this case. It's an easy way for us to figure out of someone is talking about a "house" or face cord, rather than a full, or "bush" cord.

Willhound said:

There is a lot of commercial wood cutting around here, lumber and newsprint mills etc.

But in the old days it was measured in a full cord (4'X4'X8' or "bush" cord for commercial use, or a "face" cord, 4'X8'X whatever length you are burning - 16 to 18 " in this case. It's an easy way for us to figure out of someone is talking about a "house" or face cord, rather than a full, or "bush" cord.

I don't think I will ever see anything as funny as your picture of that ash can last year.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/652/

Willhound said:

If you are getting that cold tonight you must be way up in Northern Ontario!! Timmins area? Was up through bruce mines a couple times,, maybe that is southern!! Both places here they are talking low 50's, looks pretty warm next 10 days..

Willhound said:
Roospike said:
Very nice work out. Now your bound to get snow .

Snow in the forecast tonight Roo. That's why the pile got put up. Summit is lit, and I'm ready. Overnight temps expected to drop below 0C or around 30 F. It is Sept, after all...... :p
Wow , 30° not too bad .......... you'll only need one 4" split for tonight and that should last 24 hours in your "SUMMIT"

willhound,

what burn times do you get with the white birch, if you load it up at night say 11.30 pm do you still have enough coals at 8:00 am rake coals to front damper on high toss more logs in and presto?

Nice stack of wood. How much wood do you burn a year?

minesmoria said:
willhound,

what burn times do you get with the white birch, if you load it up at night say 11.30 pm do you still have enough coals at 8:00 am rake coals to front damper on high toss more logs in and presto?

Yep, usually. My standard practice before bed is to fill it as full as I can get it, let it rip for 10 minutes or so until things are burning good, and then I usually close the damper right down before going to bed. Most mornings, the temperature controlled fan is still running and there are enough coals to bank it up, throw in a few pieces and open the drafts, and in a few minutes back o full burn.

The reason for the white birch is that it is about the only "hardwood" readily available around here. There is a little bit of Ash, but usually doesn't grow big enough to be useable as firewood. Other than that, it's all pine or aspen (poplar).

earthharvester said:
Nice stack of wood. How much wood do you burn a year?

Last year I burned about 3 bush cords, but I didn't get the insert installed until early December, and by mid-April I was scrounging for wood. I have 5 on hand this year, and I'm hoping that 4 will do it, with 1 left over to season really well. Burning season here is usually from about now (been burning for three days now) and lasts until the middle of May, and maybe longer if cool at night.

Last year I burned 24/7 and was working out of a home office, so kept it going pretty good all day. This year I will be moving into a commercial office very soon, so will let the temps drop in the house during the day, therefore might save a bit of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.