After extensive testing, the Truper Splitter passes with flying colors.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I got the chance to process some green oak this morning from a tree that was uprooted in a windstorm, as opposed to the dead oak that I normally process, and the Truper Splitter waked right through it as well. After splitting 5 or 6 cord with it, it is working great and no loosening of the handle. It is very much like my old heirloom maul.
IMG_0342%20(1024x768).jpg

IMG_0344%20(768x1024).jpg

IMG_0345%20(1024x768).jpg

Glad that is working out well for you quads. I hope you are getting caught up on the wood now as you've split a bunch this year.

Great lookin wood! BTW whats that funny color in the backround.....can't quite make it out....is it.....blue sky????? WOW we ain't seen that for months.

I missed something. Where's the ole 6lb with that newish handle you got on it?

[quote author="quads" date="1304566863"]I got the chance to process some green oak this morning from a tree that was uprooted in a windstorm, as opposed to the dead oak that I normally process, and the Truper Splitter waked right through it as well. After splitting 5 or 6 cord with it, it is working great and no loosening of the handle. It is very much like my old heirloom maul.

Quads nice pictures and good that you're back on, lets get that sexy sleek handle back.

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Glad that is working out well for you quads. I hope you are getting caught up on the wood now as you've split a bunch this year.
I'm getting there, I have about 1/5th of what I sold this winter replenished already. If I cut, split, and stack two loads per day, everyday, only about 70 more days to go and I'm caught up for next winter! HA!

wkpoor said:
Great lookin wood! BTW whats that funny color in the backround.....can't quite make it out....is it.....blue sky????? WOW we ain't seen that for months.
First time we saw the blue sky in awhile too, and it's gone again today. But they say blue sky again tomorrow and warming up from then on (it snowed again Tuesday).

Danno77 said:
I missed something. Where's the ole 6lb with that newish handle you got on it?
I couldn't keep the wooden handle as tight as I wanted it. Put one wooden wedge and three metal ones in it, glued it, split a couple cord, and then I'd have to drive the wedges back in the handle and do it all over again. Kept changing with temperature and humidity too. So, I set out to buy a new fiberglass handle for it, like the one that lasted almost 30 years, and discovered that Tractor Supply had a whole new maul on sale for the same price as a new handle. And the Truper maul was the closest thing in shape to the old maul as any I had ever seen.

zapny said:
Quads nice pictures and good that you're back on, lets get that sexy sleek handle back.

Zap
Thanks Zap! I usually do a quick scan of the forum everyday, but haven't had much time lately to post. Trying to get caught up for next winter and hopefully still have time this summer to take Mrs. Quads hiking and stuff.

I still think you need to add the "Fiskars" sticker to this maul Quads.

For some reason, I feel a little "cheated". Maybe it is the retiring of the old maul, dunno. You sure about this change- Quads??

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I'm getting there, I have about 1/5th of what I sold this winter replenished already. If I cut, split, and stack two loads per day, everyday, only about 70 more days to go and I'm caught up for next winter! HA!

Do 3 loads for a couple of days and you'll be caught up by July 4!

firefighterjake said:
I still think you need to add the "Fiskars" sticker to this maul Quads.
Oh, I will! The Archibald Fiskars Truper Splitter.

Jags said:
For some reason, I feel a little "cheated". Maybe it is the retiring of the old maul, dunno. You sure about this change- Quads??
The old maul is hanging in the garage, ready to go at a moment's notice. It will still get used, just not as often, and every couple cord I'll have to tighten the handle. I also have another brand-new maul hanging in the garage. Bought it a few years ago and have never taken a swing with it because I don't like the way it looks....

What the work coming to...Quads with a new maul thought I would never see the day! Whats next?

Looks well made. Wedge designed for less sticking. Friction grip for winter time use.
Stands up nicely by the handle. Nice findable color. Synthetic & armored head mount.
Looks great.
I think you have a good upgrade. You need to keep up with the changing times & modernize every now & then.
New gas can last year, now a new maul.
Quads is constantly keeping up with innovation. SWEET!

bogydave said:
Looks well made. Wedge designed for less sticking. Friction grip for winter time use.
Stands up nicely by the handle. Nice findable color. Synthetic & armored head mount.
Looks great.
I think you have a good upgrade. You need to keep up with the changing times & modernize every now & then.
New gas can last year, now a new maul.
Quads is constantly keeping up with innovation. SWEET!
HA! New gas can broke! The spout cracked, so went back to the old gas can, then eventually found an old spot in my junk drawer that fit the new can....

quads said:
I also have another brand-new maul hanging in the garage. Bought it a few years ago and have never taken a swing with it because I don't like the way it looks....

Now that's just prejudice in its purest form. How very un-PC of you! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.