After my OAK install there is a change P61a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Finally got around to it, my OAK is installed. So after the install I had trouble getting the stove to ramp up and getting it to burn hot enough to get the house much over 70. But I just found the problem, the area surrounding the stove was warm enough for the room sensor probe to not call for heat ( I could tell just by touching items around the stove, for a low burn things were quite warm unlike before). Thus far and it is only 34 outside not 16 or 0 but there is way less draft in the room going to the stove and well I guess the probe was satisfied, where in the past cold air passed by the probe on it's way to the stove. So I placed it behind the stove about 3 ft off the floor where convection air entering the stove might get at it, within about 6 minutes or so the stove ramped up and bailed heat like I have not smelled off the stove since we first fired it up last year. The house now is approaching 74 and I can turn the dial down and get a feel for how I will set the dial moving forward.. Ultimately I may move the probe to the dining room anyway though.

But ya plus plus, so far way less drafts and a little quieter ! Happy, even with the extra ugly piece of tube entering my fireplace ( I ran 3" tube up the chimney a ways and ended it there, re insulated around it at the smoke shelf). I think I need a little flat black paint on that tube.

How tight of a seal is on the top cap of the chimney?

Happy to hear you're getting better results...

How tight of a seal is on the top cap of the chimney?

Happy to hear you're getting better results...
There is an opening up there in the top plate, maybe 1" square and the top bricks could be mortared tighter than they are at the surface where the top plate is RTVd to them. Additionally, there is no clay liner in this old chimney, just my stainless liner, so I imagine it isn't all that tight, especially to the house where it couldn't get re pointed a few years ago ( the chimney was re-pointed per order of our insurance inspector who then came back and passed it). Our chimney has two courses to the wall though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Finally got around to it, my OAK is installed. So after the install I had trouble getting the stove to ramp up and getting it to burn hot enough to get the house much over 70. But I just found the problem, the area surrounding the stove was warm enough for the room sensor probe to not call for heat ( I could tell just by touching items around the stove, for a low burn things were quite warm unlike before). Thus far and it is only 34 outside not 16 or 0 but there is way less draft in the room going to the stove and well I guess the probe was satisfied, where in the past cold air passed by the probe on it's way to the stove. So I placed it behind the stove about 3 ft off the floor where convection air entering the stove might get at it, within about 6 minutes or so the stove ramped up and bailed heat like I have not smelled off the stove since we first fired it up last year. The house now is approaching 74 and I can turn the dial down and get a feel for how I will set the dial moving forward.. Ultimately I may move the probe to the dining room anyway though.

But ya plus plus, so far way less drafts and a little quieter ! Happy, even with the extra ugly piece of tube entering my fireplace ( I ran 3" tube up the chimney a ways and ended it there, re insulated around it at the smoke shelf). I think I need a little flat black paint on that tube.
Good goin...
OAK made same difference here...Gotta believe in the Proven Theory...

Reactions: alternativeheat
My OAK was installed day one and it works well. The only reference I have though is using my old Lopi wood insert without outside air. When that is burning you can definitely feel the drafts of it pulling air from around the room.

Running the P68 with the OAK there are no drafts at all. Great improvement! The only air we feel is the warm air it throws out. Your stove should be working better and producing more warmth now since it is not stealing it from within. My friend was adamant about making sure I hooked up the outside air. He learned the hard way and once he did his he said it was a huge improvement.

My OAK was installed day one and it works well. The only reference I have though is using my old Lopi wood insert without outside air. When that is burning you can definitely feel the drafts of it pulling air from around the room.

Running the P68 with the OAK there are no drafts at all. Great improvement! The only air we feel is the warm air it throws out. Your stove should be working better and producing more warmth now since it is not stealing it from within. My friend was adamant about making sure I hooked up the outside air. He learned the hard way and once he did his he said it was a huge improvement.
Hmm, It's now 32 out with a good stiff 30 MPH NW wind and snowing, 74 inside. The stove is cycling normal in Room Temp manual. So far so good. I think we have a freeze coming up tonight.

Last edited:
It was snowing here yesterday and hit 25* last night. Today it hit 55* but now it's 49* and sunny going down to 34* We are reading 75 on the house stat.

What's your pellet usage been? I have average 1 bag per day and 1.5 on the cold snaps so far. The wife has rearranged the living room furniture due to the stove. Guess where her favorite chair now is........LOL! I did have the best spot. Nothing but love around here...........

Reactions: Cory S
Status
Not open for further replies.