Aftermarket Mufflers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baileys online sells a muffler that I think is better than the stock ones. Anyone ever swap them out? The mufflers are $30 a piece. They also sell chain in 100' spools for $3 a foot. How do you make it work for you though? Do you have to have a special link to connect the chain to itself?

Yea there special links that you beat togeatjer. There is a tool to break them too. Look online you will see them. But unless your like Scotty or someone who has a gazillion bars and burns up the chain its not worth the time. I'm a forester and deal with loggers almost every day. I have only seen one in my 7 or so years that was even set up to make loops. Most just buy it at the shop just like us.

And for the mufflers I saw them last night while getting an order together. For the mine they it. There several on eBay cheaper than those and similar as well.

Reactions: TreePointer
Baileys online sells a muffler that I think is better than the stock ones. Anyone ever swap them out? The mufflers are $30 a piece. They also sell chain in 100' spools for $3 a foot. How do you make it work for you though? Do you have to have a special link to connect the chain to itself?[/quote said:
I bought the Non-CAT muffler for my Husky 353. Looked and felt exactly like the OEM CAT, was an easy direct swap, and does the job.

Yea there special links that you beat togeatjer. There is a tool to break them too. Look online you will see them. But unless your like Scotty or someone who has a gazillion bars and burns up the chain its not worth the time. I'm a forester and deal with loggers almost every day. I have only seen one in my 7 or so years that was even set up to make loops. Most just buy it at the shop just like us.

And for the mufflers I saw them last night while getting an order together. For the mine they it. There several on eBay cheaper than those and similar as well.

Thanks...just curious.

As mentioned, you need a breaker, spinner, and consumables (chain, tie straps, rivets). Add in time and labor and it's easier for most to get premade loops.

local shop makes 'em for around the same price/slightly cheaper than you can get on fleabay......they'll also shorten or replace mashed-up links in your used chains for a reasonable cost too...

Listen, I cut a TON of trees in a year, and I just buy loops or have the local shop make 'em in a pinch......like Treepointer said, a lot of expensive tools to make a chain here and there, it just ain't worth the initial cost (unless you are making and selling a TON of 'em).

I know TWO guys with the tools. One's father was a partner in an equipment dealership, and the other was given a bunch of chain loops that were the proper pitch and guage, but too long. I have trashed a 28" loop or two ;em, so I picked up a few tie straps and presets. I go grab a six pack and come home with a 20" skip loop ;). I don't think I'd ever buy a spool, though. Maybe if somebody was dumping them sooooper cheap.

I'd run that new saw as is for a while and not worry about the muffler. When you get over the wow factor and get bored with it, then start to play.

>>Im a big fan of the dual port mufflers available for the 70cc+ Stihls. But iirc testing wasn't showing gains anywhere near what was being seen on saws like the 440 or 460. Seems the newer Stihls (461 was tested on a dyno) were breathing just fine through factory mufflers and were needing muffler mods only after porting.

The nice part about firecracker's 441 is that swapping to a DP muffler is just a bolt on deal. The carburetor will adjust to the muffler all by itself. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are cheap, look up Nicks or Whites custom boots!!!

No...I just meant over the top for what I would need. I'm sure there's better gear out there.

I know this guy on Youtube....Wranglerstar...had a review of some expensive fire resistant boots for fighting forest fires

Yep whites and Nick's are custom boots that western loggers and firefighters buy. You measure and trace your foot. They were around $500 8 yrs ago depending upon options u get. There also rebuildable.

Status
Not open for further replies.