Afternoon S/S with the X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudbug250

Burning Hunk
Dec 17, 2011
Central Mississippi
I put the new X27 through the paces this afternoon. Attached is the wood stacked in the pallet rack I built, and what is left of my Saturday scrounge. I busted up one big round, and it put out a lot of splits. That punk red oak split like a dream, the hickory split pretty easy but was a little more knotty than the red oak.
IMG_0153.JPGIMG_0154.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 120
Nice wood, I see you have splitter also, did you use the x27 ( Friskars am guessing) I bought one last yr and I think they are highly overrated and priced, To me their no better than a cheaper maul or ax.

I agree, people say they are so great, and they still don't seem to split much if any better than a $20 one at Lowes/HD. Nice looking pile though!!

TS

It slices through the wood better. I never could have busted that big round with my yellow fiberglass ax from home depot. I could have done it with my maul, but that beastard gets heavy. I cracked the fiberglass handle on my ax recently so I needed another ax.

Looks good mudbug. I like that you have different sized splits and even a few small rounds. You are setting yourself up for some fine wood burning.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks backwoods. Once i get this split I will be sitting on over 6 cords. That puts me at least 3 years ahead with these mild Mississippi winters.

Ah, 3 years ahead. Now you are talking!!!

Premium wood there.
Nice neat stack ;)

Thanks Boggy. Maybe one day I can be to your s/s ability.

Nice scrounge! I love Red Oak. Nice job on your pallet rack too!
Maybe I'm just imagining it but I have an 8 lb maul and an X27 and I rarely touch the maul. I keep the edge sharp on the X27 and have lots of fun with it. To each his own I guess!

Reactions: mecreature
Nice stack and I see your using all the space. You even stacked wood between the pallet boards. Now thats filling it up. You didn't think we would see that.

I could have done it with my maul, but that beastard gets heavy. I cracked the fiberglass handle on my ax recently so I needed another ax.
The 8# maul is a bit of work for me. The 6-pounder is lighter, and usually handles most stuff that I want to split by hand. But yeah, if the wood splits easy enough I'll grab the Fiskars...lighter is better. ==c
You should be able to pick up a replacement handle for that busted ax at a farm store or box store...

I always stack my splits with a level too. :cool:

Nice stack and I see your using all the space. You even stacked wood between the pallet boards. Now thats filling it up. You didn't think we would see that.
I do what I can.

I always stack my splits with a level too. :cool:
I tried to get the rack as close to level as possible before I started stacking.

Nice work mudbog! I have been lurking on here for a little over a week now and enjoyed the scrounge thread and seeing it all S/S is a beautiful thing!

Welcome FireBones! It is a beautiful thing watching rounds go to splits then a stack.

Nice scrounge! I love Red Oak. Nice job on your pallet rack too!
Maybe I'm just imagining it but I have an 8 lb maul and an X27 and I rarely touch the maul. I keep the edge sharp on the X27 and have lots of fun with it. To each his own I guess!

Same here. I busted up a bunch of sycamore and hackberry this weekend. Some good size rounds too.
Once you get in a groove and keep your eye on the spot the X27 makes it look easy.

Nice wood there mudbug, nice pallet rack too.

Reactions: Senatormofo
Nice work mudbog! I have been lurking on here for a little over a week now and enjoyed the scrounge thread and seeing it all S/S is a beautiful thing!

Hey FireBones, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm ;) welcome guys! I am pretty new and find this board to be incredibly informative! I went out and bought my first 6LB maul lastnight inspired by this thread and board and went over to my buddies and split up a nice pile of rounds, what a riot and the smell is amazing! Im going to continue to educate myself before I post my thread detailing my plans for my new house/farm. I can see this becoming a great new passion of mine, cheers.

Bryan

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It took me about 50 min to dig these rounds out of a pile and split it all up. I rather enjoyed the experience!
D2C0F5B8-098E-450F-B865-A3FA6C9B0A9B-29027-00000BF6602C13C6.jpg

Firebones....It can become an addiction, as a lot of people on here will tell ya. I have always like working with wood. I helped my dad C/S/S since I was big enough to tag along. I was really into it hot and heavy about 3 years ago, and got about 3 cords C/S/S that year. Then we had the twins two years ago, and did not have time to replenish the supply and ended up buyring a 1/2 cord last fall. Thankfully it was fully seasoned and got it for $50. An old lady died and her meth head grandson wanted some money. It had been inside of a shed for a very long time. Anyway, I told myself then I will never buy wood again. I already had the saw, the axes, mauls, wedges. I had an old homemade hydraulic splitter that someone gave us, but it was gonna be too much of a hassle to get to operational/safe. So I went and got the Huskee 22 ton last December. I love it, as you can go through a lot of wood on numersous days without wearing yourself out. But I missed coming home and swinging the axe for half an hour every night. So I pulled the old ax out an noticed it was cracked, that was why I bought the X27. I am a director of nurisng by occupation and sit in an office all day. It is difficult sometimes to see benefits from your work. But a growing stack, now that is satisfaction. Just make sure you stay safe.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.