Against the Rules

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
For years I've been burning my wood full blast, letting my 500 gallon tank soak up the heat only to watch my tank slowly cool, my wood pile shrink amazingly fast, and time to build anothe fire.
I know it's the shoulder season, but I do use huge amounts of domestic hot water.
For the heck of it I lowered my tarm aquastat to max out at 180*, Lowered my maximum tank temp to 175*.
I just can't believe how long my fire is lasting. I mean a drastic difference in the quantity of wood burned. I just lit the boiler once, loaded it up, let it go. I added some wood very sparingly, My house is warm and hot water is hot.
Downside to this is with all the idling, I am getting creosote buildup where before it was just ash.
I know the math doesn't add up. I'm supposed to be burning very inefficiently with all this idling but I know I'm burning much less wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.