aging wood ,would you

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

all this talk about aging wood needs more info,I mean when we talk about aging for a year or 2,4,6,8 months are we talking about, trees that were green, live trees,cut down just to use as fire wood or dead standing trees cut down to burn..I dont think the dead trees would have to age near as long as green trees...my newly cut split and stacked 11 cords are all from dead standing ash,the oldest cord ,maybe 2 months old in the barn..do I have burn problems comming..ive burned about 12 fires and every thing seems to be working ok.ZZZIm

Most people are talking about how long the wood has been split and stacked. "One year" as a guideline assumes that a live tree was cut, split, and stacked a year ago. Some need more (oak) some need less (softer woods, and white ash).

Ash takes less time, and many claim that it will burn green just fine, so it's sort of an exception.

Yeah, the Ash you are burning is kind of an oddity for firewood. Its one of the few that can be "under seasoned" and still be good fuel.

hey who's in my wood shed thanks Adios

any draw back to burning punky wood to just use it up.cuz it was in the mix of trees being cleaned up...ZZZim

zim said:
any draw back to burning punky wood to just use it up.cuz it was in the mix of trees being cleaned up...ZZZim

Not as long as its good and dry. Use it up.

Oh, and it will create alot of ash for the heat output.

^True dat...dry punky wood can get a light as a feather but ya have to keep it dry if you want it to burn good...or as good as punky wood can burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.