Ah-Ak 010 boiler controller from Ahona

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ihookem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Allenton, Wisconsin
I have an EKO 25 boiler for the 5th burning season now. The controller started acting funny at the start of the 3rd year but it wasn't too bad. The 4th year it started acting very strange and I tried to fix it but I believe I ruined it somehow. I talked to Mark at Ahona and he sold me a new controller that was not O.E. The new controller is made in New York . Although the parts are most likely from China. It can be serviced here in New York. To anyone who is looking into a new controller, this seems well made and operates similar to the original. It does have many more options that I didn't need. It was a steep price of 485 after shipping though.

Did you change the capacitor on your original? I think a couple folks on here changed it out. Knock on wood this will be my 6th season on the EKO with only replacing the door gasket. I am going to add some firebrick to the nozzle this year and look at either replacing or making my own U block in the bottom. Also thinking of stocking a few parts like the temp sensor and that capacitor.

I changes the capacitor. It made things worse, however I do believe I ruined something but I have no idea how.

The controller started acting funny at the start of the 3rd year but it wasn't too bad. The 4th year it started acting very strange

Hello Ihookem, I too run an Eko 25 and hope this original controller last more than 4 years. I do have an extra on the shelf.

Before its first firing, the pyramid enclosure was removed and set aside. I made a highchair for the controller to sit above the top of the boiler with nothing to hold the heat in, as the original enclosure would. It is a simple design but certainly will not allow too much heat to the electronics. If I were to consider a different controller, it would allow further parameters than what the RK-2001U does. From the specs of the new model you have, it appears to be equal to the RK-2001U concerning parameters.

How is the new contoller working for you?

So far very good. I did have some problems wiring it and figuring out how it works. Now that I have it figured out it is doing it's job. I hope this thing lasts the life of the boiler .

Status
Not open for further replies.