Air control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acritzer

May 10, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Second year burner here, still learning.

If I have a full load, burning strong with plenty of reburn, I turn the air all the way down, fire stays strong …..is there ever a reason or a time to adjust the air back open?
Or, once it gets to this stage is it best to let it go until it’s coals, keeping the air all the way down?

As always, thanks.

I sometimes open the air back up to burn the coals down faster so I can safely reload before going to bed.
Right. Let’s assume this is the last load for the night. Just leave it closed down?

I guess I’m asking if the fire is on auto pilot at that point?

Yes, you can leave the air closed down for an overnight burn. No need to reopen the air. If you find that the wood is unburnt and leaving large hunks of cold charcoal behind the next morning then the fire may need a little more air overnight or the wood might not be fully seasoned. If it's mostly grey ash in the morning and a few hot coals then life is good. Rake them forward and reload. In a daytime session, you may want to open up the air about 30 minutes before a reload to burn down the coals further.