Air distribution for a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I plan the heating of our future 1800 sq.ft. bungalow. I'd like to use a VC Dutchwest non-cat large for heating. My concern is that some parts of the house will be too hot and others too low. This is a common problem with wood stoves, and by searching this forum I found the following solutions:
1. Use ceiling fans.
2. Make vents in the walls, above the door.
3. Buy the stove with a Circulating Fan.

I wonder if there are any other methods. Is it possible to attach a small duct on top of the wood stove that will take the hot air to a nearby room?

Thanks,
Beno

What is the floor plan of the house?

NO CHASE/DUCT near the stove FIRE FIRE FIRE

I had this issue and with some advice from here along with moving the fans around I now have the house being heated as evenly as I could have hoped. The fan behind the TV helps keep the noise minimal too even though it is a quiet fan.

Attachments

• Floor plan 2 27.jpg
    Floor plan 2 27.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 405
There aren't any other methods except to buy another stove. You've got the good ones. I have learned to appreciate the different temperatures in each room and enjoy the space heater qualities of a stove.

You could put a vent in the ceiling of hte room where the heater is......and "blow" the heat from there to the opposite end of the house and have it come out down near the floor of that room in a corner boxed in. If I was trying this you would not need a real large blowr.(cfm) probably 400t o500 cfm would be plenty.

similar to what is happening with my wood furnace go look at the diagrahm of how it works......same idea only your heat source is inside.

Scott

babalu87 said:
What is the floor plan of the house?

NO CHASE/DUCT near the stove FIRE FIRE FIRE

I had this issue and with some advice from here along with moving the fans around I now have the house being heated as evenly as I could have hoped. The fan behind the TV helps keep the noise minimal too even though it is a quiet fan.

So the fan (placed up top left in pic) ended up work out for you babs , good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.