1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Air distribution for a wood stove

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Beno, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beno

Beno New Member

Hi there,

I plan the heating of our future 1800 sq.ft. bungalow. I'd like to use a VC Dutchwest non-cat large for heating. My concern is that some parts of the house will be too hot and others too low. This is a common problem with wood stoves, and by searching this forum I found the following solutions:
    1. Use ceiling fans.
    2. Make vents in the walls, above the door.
    3. Buy the stove with a Circulating Fan.

I wonder if there are any other methods. Is it possible to attach a small duct on top of the wood stove that will take the hot air to a nearby room?

Thanks,
    Beno

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    What is the floor plan of the house?

NO CHASE/DUCT near the stove FIRE FIRE FIRE

I had this issue and with some advice from here along with moving the fans around I now have the house being heated as evenly as I could have hoped. The fan behind the TV helps keep the noise minimal too even though it is a quiet fan.

Attached Files:

3. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    There aren't any other methods except to buy another stove. You've got the good ones. I have learned to appreciate the different temperatures in each room and enjoy the space heater qualities of a stove.
  4. farmerscotty

farmerscotty New Member

You could put a vent in the ceiling of hte room where the heater is......and "blow" the heat from there to the opposite end of the house and have it come out down near the floor of that room in a corner boxed in. If I was trying this you would not need a real large blowr.(cfm) probably 400t o500 cfm would be plenty.

similar to what is happening with my wood furnace go look at the diagrahm of how it works......same idea only your heat source is inside.

Scott
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    So the fan (placed up top left in pic) ended up work out for you babs , good deal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.