Air Filters for Stihl Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
For the first time I bought a mesh/screen filter instead of the flocked, what is your preference and why.

Zap

What saw?

smokinjay said:
What saw?

Well I have the 310,390 and the 660, but I put the new filter on the 390.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
What saw?

Zap

The 660 should have the hd filter thats an awesome filter. Smaller saw I have always used the mesh.

I use pretty much whatever came on the saw... Even my MS440 fully modified, has the wire mesh with a strechy cover, but it is what came on it. I figure they put it there for a reason. My 084 is the only saw that has a "flocked" or fuzzy air filter the rest are the yellow looking fiber stuff. I cut a LOT of wood and do not really see a difference between the types. I am over protective off my saws though and clean them regularly... :)

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
What saw?

Zap

The 660 should have the hd filter thats an awesome filter. Smaller saw I have always used the mesh.

The filter from the 660 which I used on the beech.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3203.jpg
    100_3203.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_3204.jpg
    100_3204.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 305
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
What saw?

Zap

Zap

Thats it the outer part is a pre-filter and comes off easy if you want to really clean it...Best to just blow it out with compressor! Thagts a hd filter used on 460,660,880.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
What saw?

Zap

Zap

Thats it the outer part is a pre-filter and comes off easy if you want to really clean it...Best to just blow it out with compressor! Thagts a hd filter used on 460,660,880.

I knock mine out on my pant leg every 2-3 hours of operation. Easy preventative maintenance!

XactLEE said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1308453633 said:
What saw?

Zap

Zap

I knock mine out on my pant leg every 2-3 hours of operation. Easy preventative maintenance!

yea if your milling every singal tank of gas.....Biggest killer on milling saw's!

Zap that is the same as the MS440 too... Like Jay said, clean it off with the air. I'm fairly gentle though and I try not to aim directly at the filter. Come at it from an angle so the dust goes off to the side...

RNLA said:
Zap that is the same as the MS440 too... Like Jay said, clean it off with the air. I'm fairly gentle though and I try not to aim directly at the filter. Come at it from an angle so the dust goes off to the side...

I go inside out as well and take the pre-filer off once in awhile to. Milling you better do it more offten than not.

On the main filter body I do go from the inside out. The strechy fabric thing too but usually it is not too dirty....

RNLA said:
On the main filter body I do go from the inside out. The strechy fabric thing too but usually it is not too dirty....

Yea the per-filter works very well. Milling the dust can get very fine though. Cross cut knocking it on something works very well because the dust is much bigger particle's, but darn sure dose not hurt to keep it very clean either way!

I am interested to see what happens when milling. I have an 084 that doesn't go on the truck too much anymore. I have been thinking of getting an Alaska mill and some slabing brackets. I want to build a wood shed out of lumber that I milled with the beast.... :cheese:

RNLA said:
I am interested to see what happens when milling. I have an 084 that doesn't go on the truck too much anymore. I have been thinking of getting an Alaska mill and some slabing brackets. I want to build a wood shed out of lumber that I milled with the beast.... :cheese:

I'm giving the business I ordered through two more weeks and if the mill and the rails don't come in I'm cancelling the order.

Zap

zapny said:
RNLA said:

I'm giving the business I ordered through two more weeks and if the mill and the rails don't come in I'm cancelling the order.

Zap

Baileys 3 days. (tops)

When blowing out a filter blow it out from the inside otherwise you are driving particles through it.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.