Air intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Hearth Supporter
Sep 5, 2010
CT
I just had my harman 52i insert installed, I have a exhaust "flue".. I don't think they installed an air intake "flue".. Should I also have one of these?

In the manual it takes about a outside air kit (#1-00-574350)

12b74a6648977b3916c64a1865c9ac73.jpg

I "think" where I have the light is the intake... They did hook up the right side with the exhaust.

Should i get the intake as well?

I read it the thread and I have a question.

Is the intake only used for the initial startup of the stove or is the intake constantly being used?

I called my installer and he said it's only for the burner (what ever that means) And they it doesn't bring fresh air into the room.

Is he lying?

The air intake is in constant use when the stove is running. This is the air that the stove uses for combustion, it is then blown out the vent along with all the smoke.

For those keeping score at home, I count this as OAK thread #2 for the season (first being thread Tim quotes). Pls correct if you know of another, and my money is on a predicted 17 total for the season.

Eeps24: This comes up so often I am now counting the number of threads we'll have this year. You need this. Your installer doesn't like to install them because your stove will normally "burn fine" without it, but at greater cost and less comfort to you. They just don't/can't charge much more for this, and many dealers/installers have as much training in how airflow in a house works as a turnip. Make them come out, put in an OAK (Outside Air Kit), and do it right. Household air should not be used for combustion when it can be easily avoided with a modern stove and proper installation of an OAK, period.

Reactions: bags and bogieb
Thanks Wilbur and everyone else.. The installers seem like joksters.. What are things I should be aware about before having them come out?

What materials and how will I know they are doing it right?

I feel I should be a little aware of what to look out for so they don't scam me.

Thanks Wilbur and everyone else.. The installers seem like joksters.. What are things I should be aware about before having them come out?

What materials and how will I know they are doing it right?

I feel I should be a little aware of what to look out for so they don't scam me.

You need to be able to trust the installers otherwise hire someone else.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.