Air leaks on a Timber Ridge 55-TRPEP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Bommer

Dec 19, 2012
Kewaskum, Wi.
Well after a couple of years or struggling to get my stove working correctly I think I have it diagnosed. My stove is as tight as a 100 year old farm house with broken windows.

I feel bad that it took me this long to find all my issues, but this was my first stove and I assumed it was assembled correctly.

The first thing I notice a while ago was the door gasket had gaps and the ash pan fits like it was made for a different stove. I had some gasket materiel so I added additional gasket material to both the door and ash pan. But the burn was still bad(burn pot full of clinkers after 24 hrs). The door will now hold a piece of paper in all locations. I still can't get the ash pan tight, but with double gasket material it passes the flame test.

This year I finally found a big air leak in a very small section on the front glass panel. Its along the vertical side. The glass is only held in on the top and bottom. So I filled the gap with the same adhesive for the door gasket. Even after filling the gap I was still getting a bad burn.

After a few cleanings I noticed a hole though the ashes around the burn pot. After closer inspection I realized the cradle for the burn pot is not flat and the burn pot rocks. So a added gasket materiel under the burn pot.

So I had a leaky door, ash draw, glass and burn pot. My exhaust fan connection seems good. So after 4 years I can finally run my stove for a day and have no clickers in the burn pot. Yeah, I have learned a lot.

Now I have 3 problems that I am not sure what to do:

1. Now my stove is working a little to well(I guess I am never happy). I have the feed and blower both set to 4 and the stove is regularly over temping. I can tell because the blower fan goes max high and I am also noticing the burn pot is being damage. I have lowered the air setting from 1-5-1 (Englander recommendation ) to 1-3-1. Now I only hear the high fan occasionally, but should it ever being coming on? Not sure if there is more I can do to cool off the burn a little more to reduce any chance for damage.

2. The door is not square to the stove. I measured the distance from the door to the stove and its 1" by the hinges and 7/8" by the latch and top and bottom. I would like to go to a single gasket, instead of 2 pieces(1 on the door and 1 on the stove). The englander gasket is 3/4" and is to thin. I could use a 1" gasket for the hinge area and a 7/8" for the rest of the door. I am worried if I go 1" I might have issues closing the door but if I go small I will leak by the hinges. Any recommendation?

3. Curious is anyone has change the latch on ash door to something that would work. I think it needs something that pulls from the center of the ash draw.

Thanks

I don't have that stove, but understand your issues.

1. Clean that thing. Hard. Leaf blower style cleaning. First I cleaned all ash out of the stove. Then I hooked a leaf blower up to my exhaust and with the door open, let 'er rip on high. Went inside and hit everything with compressed air. Since there was such a wicked suction, it all goes out the pipe and not in the house. This resolved my over temp issue. Stove has not done it since. I will never put off a deep clean again.

2. I actually just added some flat 5/8 gasket to the front of my stove. It provides a much better seal for the door rope gasket and I have been happy I did it.

3. Not a clue, sorry. No ash door here. LOL my stove is a base model.

Status
Not open for further replies.