air mixture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsvo

Jun 17, 2008
vt
friend of mine has a 5500 us stove,says ashley on glass,has no outside air hooked up as per installer,but also dont see any lever or rod to adjust air mixture? how many stoves are like this? flame is a little lazy in my opinion,but im no expert.

Many stove installs do not use the outside air kit. I do not have one hooked up to my stove. I can't speak for the US 5500 stove though.

"How many other stoves are like this?" If you mean other brands, well many have electronics that control the air ratio. I don't have to make adjustments with my Advance (no lever or rod). If the flame is lazy and it's not your stove, can you say for sure that your friends stove and vent is completely clean?

i cant say the vent isnt plugged but stove has only used 10-12 bags so far.im trying to talk them into outside air kit,even though it is a old house,kinda drafty,but installer says not needed.

Sounds like it is definitely clean if that is all that has been burn through it. That eliminates that...which is always a good place to start.

Between my posts here on this thread I had read/skimmed through a US 5500XL manual. I remember that the 5500 XL requires a outside air kit. Check their manual for their 5500 stove. If it is the same requirement, then your recommendation to them is very valid and may indeed help their problem.

[Edit] Also, you can help convince them with this statement: Since their house is old and drafty, if they don't use a OAK then hten stove draws from inside the house which can create somewhat of a vacume which means it is going to try and draw in the air through the doorways and windows causing other cold spots in the house. The biggest problem though may be that it is not setup completely according to the manual which will be the manufactures specs/recommndations. (Of course that is assuming that the 5500 requires an OAK.

[another edit] Well, I guess I'll need to retract the "requires" word from above. I just downloaded manual (there were two downloads though). Anyway, this time I do not see where it specifies "requires". I am not sure what I read the first time but I was going by memory. I think I would still recommend given their house condition.

10 to 12 bags of pellets is plenty to dirty up a stove that has been running on low or has been buring dirty...

Status
Not open for further replies.