Air movement to farthest room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
My house has is 2600 s.f. and is composed of a large open floorplan on the first floor with a central staircase. The staircase leads to a centralized 4' hallway on the 2nd floor ending to the master bedroom, which happens to be the farthest room from my wood stove. The stove heats the first floor pretty well and makes the 2nd floor hallway really warm. Some air movement gets into the other bedrooms on the 2nd floor but it never makes it into the master. Not to mention, the thermostat for the 2nd floor is in the hallway so there's quite a bit temperature difference walking into the master on a cold night.

The house has central air. I've tried circulating the upstairs AHU to balance out the temperature upstairs throughout the 2nd floor but to no avail, I felt I only lost heat by circulating th warm air through the cold attic.

Any pointers I can try?

Fan on the floor in the doorway of the bedroom, blowing cold air into hallway. Try it, it works.

If your house is pretty tight, there can be little loss of heat through windows/walls. This can actually inhibit heat flow to some rooms. Try cracking the window in your bedroom slightly. This may, in a sense, pop the bubble in that room and allow the warm air to flow more freely.

On the fan in the doorway or in the hall just outside the door, you want only a small fan (not pedestal) blowing on low speed. You also do not want to try moving the warm air into the cold room. Just the opposite, blow the cold air out of the room, which will force the warm air in.

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
On the fan in the doorway or in the hall just outside the door, you want only a small fan (not pedestal) blowing on low speed. You also do not want to try moving the warm air into the cold room. Just the opposite, blow the cold air out of the room, which will force the warm air in.

Yep. Also experiment with placement. Taping a strip of TP to the top of the doorway will help you see what works best. It will really flutter in the breeze. For me, moving the fan a couple of feet made a big difference.

I know the small fan on the floor is the most efficient way to move the heat, but that is a bit clumsy for my house. I keep small electric heaters in the bedrooms that I run for very short periods of time just to get the temps up on cold days. Then the stove keeps the rooms up to temp. Also if we want the doors shut to those particular rooms we like having the small electric heaters.

Could put wall pass-thru ventilators to move air between rooms. They can be made to look nice, as transoms above a door.

I bought some fans called "Air Share", someone on here told me about them. They mount in the stud bay.

I'm using them to get heat into the 2 back bedrooms and be able to leave the doors closed at night. (I rent out one of the rooms and he is on a different work schedule than I am)

Found this to be a good way to move heat around my home. I have also considered getting a ceiling register and plumbing an insulated line to the hallway.
I would hook up an inline fan to a thermostat...that way it would only run if the room temps were pretty high.

I have a similar setup and found that a basic table fan set on the floor of the bedroom, blowing at low speed into the hallway brought about a pretty quick increase of temp in the bedroom. In about 30 minutes the bedroom temp was up about 4-5 degrees and the hallway temp had dropped about the same amount.

I bought some fans called "Air Share", someone on here told me about them. They mount in the stud bay.

I'm using them to get heat into the 2 back bedrooms and be able to leave the doors closed at night. (I rent out one of the rooms and he is on a different work schedule than I am)

Yep... Tjernlund Aireshare... Way to go. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.