Air Purifier while burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have one of these in the stove room and a replacement carbon filter pack:

Amazon product ASIN B01C3GAC9W
The way the Ideal Steel is designed, you're going to have ash and coals fall out when you open the door, pieces of wood fall between the andirons and coal up there, so it comes out from time to time when you open the door. This is the biggest cause of stove ash getting into the house and prior to the air purifier it was ash/dust city in the stove room. Nowadays not anymore, the purifier works great and I would recommend it.

^ Looks like my link isn't working, it was just the product page on Amazon for the Vornado AC350 air purifier. It is a true HEPA system and has a pre carbon filter in front of the HEPA filter which even with the constant running of the stove and all the dust and ash it produces I still get around 6 months on the carbon filters before they are too caked with crude to work anymore. There's also an indicator system that tells when the filters need replacement. Price wise it is up there but if you live near a Menards, they sell this model there and the replacement parts. Just wait till their next 11% rebate sale and you'll get it for a lot less than Amazon!

Purchased!
We run one periodically, just to clean the dust out of the air. If you have a blower on the stove, dust will get blown around. Just running a wood stove is pretty messy, even without a blower. It'll clean the air some, it's certainly not going to hurt anything, and will give you some peace of mind.

I have two box fans on the second floor and the wood stove is in the basement and im picking up material in the fans on the 1st floor. Not sure if I should shut them off or point them down the basement stairs. Turns the merv 13 filters slightly grey after 10 days or so. Im guessing just the constant reloads with full-time burning is the issue, but my neighbors stove does blow my way..... I wouldn't have known it unless i ran the fans with merv 13 filters.

Good article