Q&A Air Tight Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I purchased a home this summer that has an airtight wood stove. I would like to relocate it to my living room from its current location in the Family room. Can I run the chimney through the wall (from living room to family room) in order to use the existing chimney through the roof? It would mean a horizontal run of about five feet?

The current dimensions are:

vertical from stove to first 90 degree - 3.5 feet horizontal to second 90 degree - 2 feet vertical through roof to chimney cap - Appox. 10 feet

Therefore, can the horizontal be five feet and can it pass through an inside wall in order to reach the existing chimney?

Answer:

In general, no..the pipe should not extend through another combustible wall on the way to the chimney. The exception would be if the entire run of the chimney is insulated class A chimney. In other words, a tee would be installed at the bottom of the existing chimney and the horizontal piping run through the wall to your new location. The problem with this, in your case, is chimney height. With 5 foot of horizontal and 10 foot of vertical, it's almost a given that the chimney will not draft well.

Status
Not open for further replies.