Airhandler near freestanding stove - code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmwithjunk

Sep 19, 2022
PA
So I've been reading a lot in preparation to my new stove but have not installed it yet since I'm waiting on a tee. The old stove and air handler are only about 5 feet apart and lots of mention on here about cold air returns being 10' or more away for mechanical code.

What isn't clear to me is does the handler itself need to be more than 10' away or just open vents that could create negative pressure/fire risk? I do not have any open vents within 10' but the floor vents/ductwork are closer.

The house/chimney were built in '79 and AC/air handler installed at least 20 years ago.

I believe it is the physical return intakes that need to be at least 10' away, not the air handler or ductwork.

By floor vents, do you mean supply outlets? Does this refer to ducting to the floor above?

Last edited:
I believe it is the physical return intakes that need to be at least 10' away, not the air handler or ductwork.

By floor vents, do you mean supply outlets? Does this refer to ducting to the floor above?
Yes, the vents in the floor above for the return to the air handler. I do not have any through floor vents directly vending basement to upstairs.

If the concern is for creating negative pressure within 10' of the stove or fire, I dont believe my setup would be in violation of this if I understand it correctly. HVAC nor the home inspector indicated an issue with either but ymmv...

I agree; if the system is sealed properly (if not, get some (real) duct tape), it should be fine.

If it turns out to be a technical (rather than a code) issue, you can get an HRV or ERV to ensure the pressure does not drop below what you need, imo.

Yes, the vents in the floor above for the return to the air handler. I do not have any through floor vents directly vending basement to upstairs.

If the concern is for creating negative pressure within 10' of the stove or fire, I dont believe my setup would be in violation of this if I understand it correctly. HVAC nor the home inspector indicated an issue with either but ymmv...
Yes, you should be good to go as long as the return intakes are on the floor(s) above.

Yes, you should be good to go as long as the return intakes are on the floor(s) above.
Thats great, I didnt really want to move the air handler and I'd think many people would not be up to code if the 10' rule was for the unit.

That said with the ducts being close enough for the radiant heat I had some passive heat upstairs with air flowing through the vents.