Airspace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
I have a Woodstock fireview ready to install and I am almost finished with my hearth. I am looking at about 18 inches clearance from the rear of the stove to my wall. I installed cement board on sheetrock and then put stone on top of that. My question is I was originally going to leave an airspace behind the cement board but I had a well respected chimney sweep come out to give me a installation estimate and they said I didn't need it and that going directly against the sheetrock with my setup would be fine. Just wondering is this safe, its a little late on the airspace being I'm almost done but I can get rear heat sheild for stove and pipe if necessary, any thoughts?

What does the manual say for clearnace to combustibles? That sounds fine to me without airspace.

I have a different stove, with similar clearnace. I put the heat shield on anyway because I figured I might as well have the added surface of the heat shield to catch radient heat; warming more air and less hearth.

Mike

With an air space you can get as close as 12" It is 18" with rear sheal installed, or 20" from a 3 1/2" masonry wall against combustible wall. 30" from wall without any shields. This is from the Fireview manual. I have the heat shield on mine at at 18" the items behind the stove do not even get warm. To meet the code you must follow the clearance tables for the stove. The rear heat shield looks good on the stove.

Regardless of what the sweep thought, you need to follow the documentation. Do you see an exception for your type of installation in the manual? If not, I'd get the rear heat shield to be legal and safe.

Attachments

• Airspace question
    fireview clearance table.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.