Alarm being sent saying nothing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
And research has shown that eating fast food will make you fat, smoking causes cancer, and gas prices will most likely go up. AND millions of our tax dollars were spent to figure these things out. I'm in the wrong business!!!

Likely they are worrying about a large amount of particulate matter being spewed out of the vent.

Oh, and they forgot to say that the smoke causes cancer in laboratory animals. Guaranteed it is a oil and gas lobbying company behind the crap. It's very similar to the reports you hear on the radio, starting about April 1st, about people who were found guilty of some kind of tax evasion. Never fails, right before April 15th. April 16th you don't hear a thing.

Tom C.

They were probably walking by when someone was using a leaf blower to clean their vent. :cheese:

I see the westcoast agents are invading the east coast now with all this Green material is bad for you, burn more fossil fuels and save the enviroment BS.

One of the other news outlets is saying that the study is about indoor air quality. I wonder how many folks are using the wrong filters in the vacuums or running without all of the interior joints sealed correctly.

And guys keep posting videos of leaf blowers hooked to pellet exhausts :cheese:

SmokeyTheBear said:
Likely they are worrying about a large amount of particulate matter being spewed out of the vent.

Salty said:

SmokeyTheBear said:

Yes and I'll continue that practice. My lawn loves it and the stove breaths much better afterwards. I'll also promise not to tell them about all that lovely pine pollen that gets dumped in far more volume than my ash cloud produces.

Anyone want to discuss what comes out of those stacks on the big rigs (I understand the same stuff comes out of oil burners in furnaces) and choo choo trains?

Salty said:

SmokeyTheBear said:
The alarm was about indoor air. Leaf blower are used when the stove is off and cold. It sweep up cold ash product that come blowing outside in a black cloud. This ash, not gas. It is heavy and soon is down on the ground where it degrades and becomes part of the soil. Remember, burning pellets is rated as being carbon neutral.
I think "they" would be onto something if they studied the off gassing of my kitty's litter box, now that's some dangerous gas!

ok Calm down on what comes out of the truck, good things come by truck. if you bought it, 98% chance it came by truck.
I dont even wanna go to the litterbox gas routine... scary.
and if diesel exhaust is so bad, why is every car maker designing even more models with diesel mo

Well, DUH!

What a shocker, contaminants in wood ash. There are pollutants and other nasty things outgassing from carpets, plastics and vinyl, lead and mercury in lightbulbs, appliances, etc. I don't even want to talk about what's in my water. We are exposed to hundreds of chemical compounds and heavy metals everyday, I don't stay up all night worrying about it. Just the carbon in the ash we breath in is enough to give an environmentalist a nosebleed. But I will take that over Big Oil and all the baggage that comes with that any day.

Somebody ALWAYS has to do a study on something or other; it is the bread and butter of the scientific community. If they find anything worthy of note, lets have it.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

save$ said:
Salty said:

SmokeyTheBear said:
The alarm was about indoor air. Leaf blower are used when the stove is off and cold. It sweep up cold ash product that come blowing outside in a black cloud. This ash, not gas. It is heavy and soon is down on the ground where it degrades and becomes part of the soil. Remember, burning pellets is rated as being carbon neutral.
I think "they" would be onto something if they studied the off gassing of my kitty's litter box, now that's some dangerous gas!

I know that the alarm was over indoor air, now just so everyone understands indoor air comes from where folks?

Nope sorry, it comes from outside, so the folks that clutter up their inside air by not cleaning their stoves properly and being very careful with the ash they carry through parts of the house on the way outside with it are just adding to the mess that came from outside and get their "pollutants" undiluted.

And then folks wonder if an OAK is good or bad, etc... People never see the entire picture and for the trucking remark take a look at the folks who had their study (not the one in this thread, the one about costs) one of their stated missions (among may more things) is to see diesel out of the picture. See this link and follow the story https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91747/

So once again I'll continue to use my leaf blower because it removes far more of the crud from my stove (without dumping it directly into my "indoor" air in the house).

save$ air is air and CO2 is CO2, when wood is burned it produces CO2.

I've had the ash tested before. The amount of copper in it was 0.01% - which is less than their margin or error. Arsenic and lead weren't in the list so either they didn't test for them or it was too small. The total only adds up to 72.12 so I don't know what was omitted. I don't see carbon in the list. The results looked like the attachment. Most of the ash was calcium and potassium.

Attachments

• ashtest.jpg
    ashtest.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 163
Here is what they are concerned about small particulates of anything.

They are all lung irritants and might lead to various respiratory problems up to and including death.

My take is handle with care but do not panic you are going to croak anyway, no one gets out alive, ever.

I can see some of the issues with the fine dust produced by stoves. It's pretty hard not to have some blown around the house especially we when you are cleaning the thing. I can see it in various places especially across the room from the stove where it's blown by the fan especially when you open the door with it running.. Since I picked up a dose of asthma in the last couple years I have learned a thing or two about pellet stove dust. The main thing was never open the door unless it's completely off and gave up lighting it with a torch afterwards. Now days I just take a cup full of pellets and toss in a shot glass of alcohol dump it in the pot ,light and close the door. Much less dust and asthma pretty receptive to the change. It's hard to argue these critters are as clean as oil heat or electric because it just isn't so and the dust is the devil in the details though a lot of it can be mitigated by changing your methods and being careful.

Driz said:
I can see some of the issues with the fine dust produced by stoves. It's pretty hard not to have some blown around the house especially we when you are cleaning the thing. I can see it in various places especially across the room from the stove where it's blown by the fan especially when you open the door with it running.. Since I picked up a dose of asthma in the last couple years I have learned a thing or two about pellet stove dust. The main thing was never open the door unless it's completely off and gave up lighting it with a torch afterwards. Now days I just take a cup full of pellets and toss in a shot glass of alcohol dump it in the pot ,light and close the door. Much less dust and asthma pretty receptive to the change. It's hard to argue these critters are as clean as oil heat or electric because it just isn't so and the dust is the devil in the details though a lot of it can be mitigated by changing your methods and being careful.

Unfortunately there are small particulates with any burned fuel, including oil and gas. It is a matter of where it is, how much there is, and your ability to tolerate it.

Because wood grows in soil. About anything in the soil will be leached into the wood. You'll also see this with other biomass fuels. The grass pellets we(imacman-schoondog and myself) burned was loaded with silica absorbed from the soil. I suppose different species will absord different things(what they need for growth), But they will all contain to an extent of whats in the soil they are grown in.

Example: a tree could be grown in a high salt content soil, You would see higher salts in the wood fiber. Most likely a probable would be a high clinker pellet would be produced with the high salt content fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.