Alas, NOT Cottonwood. I.D Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
midwestcoast said:
Okay, slippery Elm it remains then. Checked the inner bark & I'd sure call it slippery. I am one lucky SOB. Good wood is practically falling in my lap lately, just have to be willing cut, haul S & S in the heat. Will soon be set for 2011/12

There is always a fricken catch... lol great score, its not COTTONWOOD!

yeah, those leaves are definitely elm.

doesn't look like slippery elm to me - but it could be. leaves are so variable.

slipper elm leaves are usually rough like sandpaper.

was that tree taken from someones yard, because those leaves really look like one of those non-native elms that I see growing all over town - i forget what its called - siberian, or chinese, or something like that.

either way, glad it splits well !!

midwestcoast said:
Update. I just took a few whacks on the 'Elm' with the Fiskars and? This can't be Elm, it split like a dream. Really it was about as easy as my Oak & Mulberry. It's wet as can be. I did a better job of the photos here. Leaves and splits are definitely from the same wood. The leaves are really small. What do you all think now? Lemme know if any different pics would be helpful.

Edit: The bigger pieces are quite tough to split and the splits smell kinda like cow manure.

I picked up a ranger load of that wood at the local tree dump site in the early spring. It was probably the easiest splitting stuff I have ever swung an axe at. I agree too that it smelled like a cow lot. At that time it was extremely wet - each blow from the fiskars would launch water/sap into the air from impact. It has dried extremely fast and is now light weight and hollow sounding in about 3 months. Strange stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.