Alaska ain't always cold in winter !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Backwoods Savage said:
We visited Alaska only one time but have had the urge to go back ever since. Probably won't happen now but we still dream about it.

You never know Dennis.
Dreams sometimes need a nudge.
5 day or so, beautiful drive one way, if you have the time. Daylight most of the time so you don't need to sleep.
Flying up & renting a car may be cheaper (but you'd miss driving by Northof60.)

Dave, if we ever do get back up there, you and North can expect a short visit.

Backwoods Savage said:
bogydave said:
Backwoods Savage said:
We visited Alaska only one time but have had the urge to go back ever since. Probably won't happen now but we still dream about it.

You never know Dennis.
Dreams sometimes need a nudge.
5 day or so, beautiful drive one way, if you have the time. Daylight most of the time so you don't need to sleep.
Flying up & renting a car may be cheaper (but you'd miss driving by Northof60.)

Dave, if we ever do get back up there, you and North can expect a short visit.

Looking forward to it :)

If you love the out-of-doors, and have the urge to visit Alaska, I would strongly recommend you satisfy your curiosity. The scenery, wildlife, and hundreds/thousands of miles of scenic rivers, lakes and mountains will leave you awe struck. Lived and worked in Anchorage from 1969 through 1991. When not working, I spent most of my time outdoors. A friend and I spent 4 hours one day watching a very large grizzly only 30 to 40 yards away digging for ground squirrels. Went near Mt. McKinley one August to make a solo climb of Mt. Horn. I wasn't aware the migration was in progress and I walked into the Porcupine herd of 30,000 (that's correct, 30,000) caribou. The migration went on for miles and the animals came as close as 20 feet to check me out. Never did climb Mt. Horn. Took a friend from Seattle out to the same spot the next year and we were charged by a female grizzly and her two cubs. These true stories could go on for hours.

Driving to Alaska will take you through British Columbia and the Yukon Territory in Canada. The Canadian people, scenery, wildlife and free camp sites just off the road will add to the intense pleasure of your journey. Be sure to bring a camera, binocular and spotting scope to check out the Dall sheep and mountain goats in British Columbia.

Driving, if you have the time, is highly recommended. So is the round-trip train ride from Anchorage to Mt. McKinley.

I make these comments to encourage those who are considering a trip to Alaska to "Just do it!" You'll be happy you did.

John_M ;-)

Edit: I hope my comments fall within the theme and intent of bogydave's original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.