Alderlea T4 door latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfx

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
NY
Hi All,
We just purchased our first wood stove. After doing a bunch of research we decided on the T4 as it suited our needs for close clearances, had good ratings and looks great. We had the stove installed about a week ago and so far we love it. The fires light easy and it heats our 1000 sq foot home very well. (right now its 29* outside and inside our home is 75 with the window cracked open for some fresh air). The only issue I have with the stove so far is the door latch is very hard to close. The first couple of days it worked fine but now it is very difficult to latch it closed. My wife cannot close it and I have to use so much force im afraid of damaging the handle. Upon inspection everything looks fine, I do not see anything interfering with the door and theres a little roller on the interior of the latch that moves freely. I was hoping someone familiar with the stove may know an easy fix for me or what may have caused this.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Try bending out the door latch receptacle on the stove body just a little at the top. It's where the latch seats on the stove. Use a small pry bar or similar tool carefully, you don't need to bend it much. Try a little and test. Repeat only if needed.

Post a pic of that sucker burning, when you get a chance!! I almost went with a T4 before I decided to order the T5 instead.

I'd like to see the actual size difference between the two stoves.

surfx,

as begreen stated, but in addition, while you are at it, check the door alignment and fit. Or, better yet, have the installers/dealer double check the fit. It is possible that the hinge side (3 screw/bolts) has shifted.

search dollar bill test, or one of my posts from last yr, and if my bad memory is correct, i may have taken pictures with the description of refitting the door on an t6 Alderlea door. once i wake up i may be able to find it.

Our door did the same thing after using it a bit, i think it just is one of those things after breaking in the stove. i check the fit of mine less frequently now, it seems to be pretty stable.

Had the same problem with mine when I had the first hot fire. The piece that the door latch latches in to is adjustable. Takes a 3/8" wrench.

Wow, thanks everyone! I was able to adjust the latch like CSAW suggested and it works fine. Glad I found this forum, Im a total newbie and have learned a lot just browsing around here. I attached a couple of photos of our stove.
Mike

Attachments

• Alderlea T4 door latch
    stove2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Alderlea T4 door latch
    IMG_1845.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 426
wow!! nice setup, surfx. Stove doesn't look small at all. Thanks for posting the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.