Alderlea T5 install into a fireplace completed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmac

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Indiana
IMG_0445.JPG Started with interior masonry firebox 1yr old. Dimensions are 46in wide, 31in high, 24in deep, and it narrows as it goes back. I stained the firebrick black but wish now that I hadn't.

IMG_0446.JPG So next I cut out my damper and stuffed some Roxul up there to keep the air out.

IMG_0442.JPG
I then took my Heavy Flex line and insulated it.

IMG_0443.JPG Then I lowered 22ft section into my chimney. I then fabbed a block off plate.

IMG_0450.JPG Secured the plate in the chimney and stuffed tons of Roxul in there and pulled the liner through.

IMG_0462.JPG
Next, place stove in firebox and attach liner.

All done and very pleased with results. Please comment if you would on my proximity to the mantel. Distance is 24in. Stove sits out of firebox 8in.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 240
IMG_0464.JPG After posting I realize the picture of stove in firebox is not very detailed so posting a close up shot.

Reactions: Squisher
Very nice, that's a handsome install. Does the stove have a the blower option?

It does have the option for a blower but I never opted for it. I don't care for the noise. My home is super insulated (foamed) so I don't need tons of BTU's. This stove is probably overkill but I like it. It was 45F this morning and my house inside was 72F without any heat on! It holds its temp very well and I am South facing with large windows that soak up the sun. Home almost heats itself to some extent. We love fires so we'll burn 24/7 come hard winter.....for us that means Dec/Jan/Feb. Now the basement stove is a bit different. I can burn it earlier and later in the seasons due to it being somewhat cool down there. My Propane tank was filled to 85% before last winter. Today it is at 58% and we use Propane to cook with also. Albeit last winter was very mild for us. But my log cabin would have used the full 500 gallons of propane and then some.

1/2in Travertine tiles laid on cement floor.

Both look great. I love their enamel stoves.

I totally agree with your regret of staining the bricks black. You can see the stove fine as they are but it doesn't pop as they are similar colors. Still a great looking install. Thanks for your documentation of the process.

Reactions: RAD418
Wow, great-looking installs! :cool:
Both look great. I love their enamel stoves.
If I know I'm going to be looking at an enamel stove, I make sure I bring a hanky to contain the inevitable drooling. ;lol
It does have the option for a blower but I never opted for it. I don't care for the noise.
Was there a local dealer for PE where you are, so you could see the stoves? Did they have one burning so you could listen to the blower? The Buck is kinda loud but not too bad on low. One dealer here has a Lopi Liberty running...I couldn't believe how quiet that blower is. I think that may be a long, flat squirrel-cage type blower...
As long as you're in a working mood, why not go up there and re-pour that chimney crown, this time with a nice couple of inches overhang to protect all that pretty brick work. ;)

Ha ha! Yes that will make the list eventually. Right now I have the crown "Duck Coated" and Chimney Saver on the brick to get me by. I don't like fans for the noise and I like the idea of not relying on electricity. I never heard any of the PE fans but I had a zero clearance once and I never cared for the noise of its fan.

As blowers go, the PE fan is pretty quiet unless on high speed.

Great looking installs, enjoy your nice stoves and stay warm. Good luck.

Wow. Two really nice stoves and setups. Congratulations, nice work.

Nice setup I have a similar one as you stove in basement and insert upstairs. Both look great. Nice detail in the install I wanted to get more pictures when doing mine but we were trying to beat the rain. Looks like your definitely ready for winter.

Thanks guys! I have had the Summit classic in the basement now for 1.5 seasons. The first year we used it for about 1/2 the winter while we were still building the house. It is an amazing stove. My chimney is interior and the Summit vents into a 6.5 in (ID) square clay flue. Flue is approx 30ft with another 3ft of stovepipe. It actually does very well despite no liner. I am excited to use the Alderlea T5 because it is so different from the Summit but in good ways. It is smaller and we chose that size because the upstairs is foam insulated and no masonry to suck up heat like the basement walls. I am looking forward to loading this stove before bed and then going to sleep knowing the stove is heating all night.I could not do that with the fireplace.

Last edited:
Very handsome hearth! Frames that T5 beautifully!

Status
Not open for further replies.