Alderlea T5 Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tone

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
Well I've had the stove for a few weeks now and have had time to see what it can do. The original draft issues have been worked out with the chimney and everything is working fine. The house is toasty warm and I'm very happy. The complaint that I had about not being able to open the door without smoke entering the room disappeared with the draft problem.

This morning before I left for work today I loaded her up over a good bed of hot coals with 5 oak splits (and I could've fit one more) at 05:45am and I turned it down all the way when I left at 6:15. I returned home at 5:00pm and had plenty of coals left to start a new load of wood without any paper or starter. It only reached 30 today and the house was 74 when I left and 68 when I returned. The baseboards were cold as my thermostat is down to 55 degrees and hasn't kicked on since I've be using the stove.

I think it is safe to say with 6 splits It would have easily made a 12 hr burn. That is amazing to me since Ive been hearing that one needs a 3 cf firebox to get an overnight burn. This firebox is rated at just under 2 cf but holds a good amount of wood. It'll fit 2- 7" rounds and a few small splits to get it going. I did that the other night and turned it down 3/4 before going to bed. I still had flames in the morning nearly 8hrs later.

I definitely believe Tom from chimney sweeps when he says that the PE super 27 has the longest burn times of 62 models he's tested including the 3cf + models that he sells.

Thanks to everyone here for all the wisdom and help. I've learned so much in the last couple of months thanks to you.

Attachments

• Alderlea-T5.jpg
    Alderlea-T5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,318
Tony, that Alderlea is a good-looking stove.Thanx for the review....I've been waiting to hear some real-world info on the Alderlea.Glad to hear you've resolved your draft issues:sounds like you made a good choice of stove,enjoy.BTW, do you feel much radiant heat coming from the cast panels, or does most of it convect off of the top via the "ducts"?

Nice...glad you are enjoying your stove, is that your pic or scanned from a brochure :lol: looking good.

The D1 firebox is one hell of a 2cuft stove.

Mostly convection heat from the body. Much radiant heat from the big glass door.

Reactions: RShim
Status
Not open for further replies.