All Day Burn Techniques

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, just curious and looking for some input. This will be my first full winter burning wood, and first time with properly seasoned wood. I’ve pretty much figured out how to get my insert to burn all night, or at least have hot coals in the morning that will start right up again. My question is, during the days, do you guys just tend your fires by adding a stick or two when needed, or do you build an overnight style fire and just let it go for hours until it needs to be rebuilt? Maybe there’s no right or wrong, just looking for input. Thanks!

In mild weather I might just add a couple sticks to the fire every 4-5 hrs. When it gets cold I fill the stove up for the long burn.

Reactions: NHWS
Depends on heating needs and availability...

Typically adding a stick or two is ineffective. It doesn't get to operating temperature. My bare minimum load is 3 pieces, usually 5.

If I'm going to be around I'll do several smaller loads throughout the day for a more consistent temperature rather than a big heat surge then dropping. If I'm not going to be around I'll do a bigger load of hardwood in the morning, then a load of crap wood when I get home to burn down the coals to prepare for the overnight load.

Reactions: GrammyPammy
Adding a couple sticks on a bed of hot coals works ok but not from a cold start. It depends on how much heat is needed.

Depends on outside weather for me. Highs in the upper 40’s to 50’s I usually can get away with one half to full load evening fire. As it gets colder I do larger loads for a 8 or 12 hour burn schedule. The really brutal cold I like to burn a little hotter with half loads about every 4-6 hours keeping the stove hot during the day then load it up for an overnight burn.

There are so many variables to this.. are you .. home, not home, how cold.. there is not right or wrong.. Me personally.. I dont like to be a slave to my stove.. normally Ill load at least a half box.. set the air and let it burn. If were going to work the stove will get loaded in the morning and my wife will turn the air all the way back when she leaves.. when I get home in the afternoon.. Ill load it up and let it burn untill it time to do the overnight burn.. do what works for you.. thats the right way..

During the coldest months which for me is mid-December through February I burn 24/7. Working fulltime this is my typical load times during a 24 hour time frame.

Load full 9pm Overnight 9 hour burn
Load full 6am Day time, at work 12 hour burn
Load small 6pm Evening 3 hour burn

When at home all day, I can load during the day for more even heat.

The days I need heat all day I load the entire way I do for an over night. My wife and I are out of the house till 4-5ish and I need coals for a reload after work.

I'm home most of the time. If it's still plenty warm in the house and i'm going out for a couple hours, and the fire has burned down for an hour or 2 or 3, i'll throw on 1 or 2 splits to make sure there are still good coals when i get back home to easily reload for either a small or larger fire.

If it's really cold out i'll load the stove to the max for full burns and repeat max load cycles through the day/night.