All done splitting for another year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
Got my load all split up except for a few crotches. I think it is still looking like it will stack up north of 5
cords.

Somewhere near three here in a sort of orderly pile.

IMGP9529.JPG

And a little more than two here I hope.

IMGP9541.JPG

Time to start stacking it up neatly in back. At least I can do that in the evening or at night.

Another year and a half worth of heat. Not bad for a few gallons of mix, a little bar oil, some electricity for the splitter and a pair of $3.99 gloves. I have 10 or so crotches that the splitter can't slice through. I'll get to run my saws dry slicing them up.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
Good for you Paul, but that somehow does not look like 5 cord there.

Ya, evening work for the stacking will work out nice for you. Then it is time to start on the next batch.

you can sense the pride in the photos...haha...its at that point when i grab a beer and admire the piles...

It's all good but my modest pile got smaller when I stacked it neatly ... funny how that happens.

Nice pictures.
Looks like a few wood types.
Got the oak separated out?
Is it all this to be for 13/14 burn season wood?

Thinking the 2 pictures combined , 5.15 cords :)

Nice pictures.
Looks like a few wood types.
Got the oak separated out?
Is it all this to be for 13/14 burn season wood?

Thinking the 2 pictures combined , 5.15 cords :)

You are probably very close on the guesstimate. The uphill pile stacked in at 300 cu feet. Neat and square, 3 rows, 68" high and 14 feet long, the third row being incomplete, Discount some for the criss cross stack ends and call it a little more than 2 cords. And that is without the crotchety unsplittable blocks getting noodled. I did sort the wood as I stacked, the ash/cherry in one row and the oak/black birch/beech in the other two. The ash and cherry were rather dry, they seemed to have seen some vertical seasoning, I'm pretty sure it was standing dead. I burn 4-5 rows like this a year and had 4 to begin with, so ash will be prime for burning next March at the earliest, leaving a double row there drying for the year after (or later). I also put about 8" under the pallets, which in my opinion helps the bottom of the stack to dry. The stringers are old pallet rack veritcal posts, with a 4x or 6x under, they work real well.

IMGP9554.JPG IMGP9555.JPG

And I ran into the second of my two suppliers while picking up flowers for Mothers day. He was a bit perturbed in a friendly way that I let someone else dump wood in my yard. But I settled that real quick by telling him he could dump off a load or two of standing dead ash which he said he could do. So I have more wood on the way. With a couple of pickup loads and what I have now I should have no problem stacking up 15 rows and I'll be set for three years. :cool:

Looks & sounds great.
More ash will be a good wood to stock up on.
Does your climate dry oak fast, I hear here, it takes 3 years to season well.

That's been my goal to have 3 years worth of wood CSS'd in the wood shed.
& 1 years supply outside seasoning.
Got off track due to back surgery & it took a while to get there. I'm close.

So keep CSS'ing if you have the space.
You never know the future &
"can never have too much firewood " :)

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Great work and nice looking stacks!

Lookin' good, Paul Bunion!! Lots of good stuff there.
Stacks look nice, neat, and orderly.....
Splits look like about the right size too. Not too small, not too big. Just right.....

Paul, is that more firewood under the tarp by the lattice fence?
If so, get that tarp covering just the top of the stack. If not, n/m.:cool:
First set of pics contrast quite well with the 2nd set.;)

Paul, is that more firewood under the tarp by the lattice fence?
If so, get that tarp covering just the top of the stack. If not, n/m.:cool:
First set of pics contrast quite well with the 2nd set.;)
Yes there is more wood under the tarp. It is 3 or 4 years dry and shrank out from under the during the winter. I need to re-adjust.

Reactions: PapaDave
You are probably very close on the guesstimate. The uphill pile stacked in at 300 cu feet. Neat and square, 3 rows, 68" high and 14 feet long, the third row being incomplete, Discount some for the criss cross stack ends and call it a little more than 2 cords. And that is without the crotchety unsplittable blocks getting noodled. I did sort the wood as I stacked, the ash/cherry in one row and the oak/black birch/beech in the other two. The ash and cherry were rather dry, they seemed to have seen some vertical seasoning, I'm pretty sure it was standing dead. I burn 4-5 rows like this a year and had 4 to begin with, so ash will be prime for burning next March at the earliest, leaving a double row there drying for the year after (or later). I also put about 8" under the pallets, which in my opinion helps the bottom of the stack to dry. The stringers are old pallet rack veritcal posts, with a 4x or 6x under, they work real well.

View attachment 102069 View attachment 102070

now I should have no problem stacking up 15 rows and I'll be set for three years. :cool:

Another woody work of art...

Status
Not open for further replies.