All electric?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
My wood stove doesn't have a blower and a thermostat, My house was warm when stove was lit but cold when I came home. Had to over fire the hell out of it to get the house warm again! A wood stove does not produce steady heat! You can't turn it down when your leaaving home And you can't turn it back up before you get home. Efficient use is a key just like cirulating the air is a key!

Believe what you want to believe!!!

Jay

I do believe what you wrote above regarding the wood stove. Not the best solution either.

err!

Photo's don't lie!

jay

Attachments

• IMG_0047a.JPG
    IMG_0047a.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 171
Gio-wet1,

No comments?

(phew!-I had to fire up my 250,000,000,000 million btu wood stove & stuffed in 1/2 a cord and my other pellet stove plus turned the oven up to 550F and leave the door open for 4 hrs. Little did I know I could hold a candle under the thermostat for a little bit to get the same affect)

Just kiddin, Having a little fun!

jay

jtakeman said:
Gio-wet1,

No comments?

(phew!-I had to fire up my 250,000,000,000 million btu wood stove & stuffed in 1/2 a cord and my other pellet stove plus turned the oven up to 550F and leave the door open for 4 hrs. Little did I know I could hold a candle under the thermostat for a little bit to get the same affect)

Just kiddin, Having a little fun!

jay

Wet1 and I know when to quit. But hey ! If you are truly heating all that area like you say, then I`m happy for you, maybe even a bit envious.
Stay warm for the next few days anyway. And send me your address and your favorite beer. I want to see your setup. I`m not that far away and maybe I could learn a thing or two.

Gio,

Thank you I will try to stay warm, Really cold here today.

I will give you a hint, I am as close as you can get to having a fully ducted system. But there is no duct work attached to the stove. Not recommendded by Breckwell.

A large hood(mounted to ceiling) works great at catching all that hot air from the stove. All my room ducts come from it. It took a few years to get it right. But its uglyyyy! so no pictures ever!

May you stay warm and healthy as well! No hard feelings?
Jay

I also have electric heat and I have a quadra-fire cb 1200. I use about 4 tons of pellets a year. I do use the electric heat and I like it because I can use it just turn it on in the room I'm in. I have a 2100 square feet house open floor plan. I spend about 250 - 300 0n electric and I don't have a problem with that and my house is always 70 -72 degrees.

Chalk me up for having an all electric house. Baseboard electric in every room. Main portions of the house are on one zone, but the rooms like bath, bedrooms and family room in finished basement each have their own stat. House was built in 81/82 during the 'energy crisis'. However it was well built for the time r19 in the walls and r40 in the ceiling. Attached solar greenhouse on the front occupies about the front half of the house. On a nice sunny day regardless of the outdoor temp in the winter, the house will heat to 75-78 during the day with no heat at all. As soon as the sun starts to set the temp drops rapidly. Heated with wood for 24 years, on average 3 cords a year. We were paying 120 a cord cut slit delivered for true seasoned wood, and that was for a generous cord also. The reason i bought a pellet stove was because a local stove was going out of business and everything went to auction, picked up the stove for half price. That and i hated stacking the wood, bringing the wood inside, and the family room in the finished basement where the stove was, was a constant mess of wood during the winter months. Last winter (1st full winter with stove) we burned 3 tons of pellets, this year we are looking at 3.5 tons. It's been a lot colder, and there hasn't been that many sunny days to take advantage of the solar heat.

Thats my story and i am sticking to it.

Edit, i'll have to look at the blueprint for the square footage, don't know it off the top of my head, i would have to estimate 1500-1750. Also been meaning to scan in some pictures to post in the green room

Status
Not open for further replies.